Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Red Twigs

 We walked to Aldi in the rain yesterday to do the weekly shop. 

We bought a little bit extra this week, so we won't have to go next week. Our freezer and cupboards were well stocked to begin with, so we just bought a few extra basics and things that we'll want for our quiet New Year's Eve. The day after Christmas is also a holiday here--St Stephen's Day. This falls on Saturday, but the observed holiday is Monday, so essentially there's a 4-day weekend coming up. Aldi may or may not be open on either Saturday or Monday, but I am not sure deliveries will be happening. We make it a point to go get our groceries at a time when we know there will be almost no one in the store, and since I am not sure how things will go next week, I am happy enough to be able to stay away. 

On the way to the store, I saw these gorgeous red twigs. I love them. I'm really fond of twigs, branches and stuff like that anyway--I have vases filled with driftwood instead of flowers and a funky piece hanging on the wall--and the colour of these just adds a little bit extra.

I hope this day is going well for you. Stay safe. 😷

5 comments:

JFM said...

Sounds as if you and Bill are all set to enjoy a nice and safe Holiday Season together at home.

Best Wishes 🎄🍪☕🎅🎁

Iris Flavia said...

I ran a tad nuts with shopping for food, too. I even got a cheese-cake pudding.
I think I´ll post it just to make people laugh!
Usually I say people who do that, well... and then I do it myself!
Beautiful raindrops, we might get some rain, also and IF... I´ll re-post the song your Hubby gave me :-)

Shari Burke said...

We are, Jan, thank you! We don't really celebrate in any traditional way, but there are a few foods I make each year on certain days. Have a lovely Christmas!

Iris--glad to be able to avoid the shops and people next week. There is no shortage of rain here--typical December in Donegal :-) Enjoy your cheesecake!

Vicki said...

Love those twigs, and the rain drops really add to their beauty!

I also did all my shopping for the next week or so already. My daughter and her family went out of town for the weekend but I saw them a few days ago for about 30 min, outside while distancing :( My oldest son lives next door so I'm sure I'll see them if only in the back yard across the fence. And I live with my youngest son so it's just us this year. I plan on him helping me with Christmas dinner :) I sure wish we could go back to normal. I miss family time with my kids and grandkids.

I wish you and Bill a Merry Christmas!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Vicki! I hope you and your son have a lovely day, too, even though it won't be the sort of day you wish for. I am glad to know that you and your family are safe and well. It is so hard to imagine 'normal' at this point. I said to Bill recently that I can't imagine going into the grocery store without a mask on and even if it was safe to do so from a community health standpoint, I think I will feel really uncomfortable when that time comes. In the meantime, we're going into lockdown again and the UK has not only the new strain that originated there, but the other variant from South Africa as well. :-(