Monday, December 28, 2020

A Day in a Life: Part Two

 What follows is the next part of an essay I wrote years ago about one day in a crappy town. The first part is here. The link will open in a new window. 

The story continues:
 I was bursting with the happy news that I did not have to do the interview and amused about the typically Sucktown way the whole process worked out.  I was wondering how the hell this woman could have missed the fact that I did not possess a driver's license, when it was on the application on a line by itself, separated with much white space and two boxes—one for “yes” and one for  “no.”  But that kind of thing happened all the time there, so I was laughing to myself about the whole thing.  I wanted to share the story with someone, so I stopped in at the yarn shop.  I enjoyed a nice conversation there and left with some wool roving and felting needles so I could try needle felting.  I walked out of the shop to a sunny, warm day, swinging my bag of colorful roving and roaming around among the thoughts in my own head.  I was almost home when I took the plunge. 
There was a spot in the sidewalk where the adjoining sections were uneven and one piece was significantly higher than the other.  Sure enough, I was not paying attention and down I went!  I was stunned, but pretty sure I was not hurt in any serious way.  Two young people had been crossing the street and were halfway across when they heard/saw me fall.  They came rushing over and helped me up, which I thought was quite nice.  I brushed myself off and went on my way.  
    It took me a few minutes to limp home and let myself into the house, where I immediately sat down and did a couple of practice rows on my crochet project.  I was relieved when I could do this with no pain or stiffness.  The important thing was that I could still crochet!!  Then I went off and sent my “I told you so” emails to the people that had been hassling me about applying for that job.

Tomorrow the story turns to later in the day and the weirdness that the evening brought.

8 comments:

JFM said...

I will be back for the next chapter tomorrow.
Happy that you could still work with your yarn.

Shari Burke said...

I was grateful. It could have been worse. I'd taken a bad fall years before and done nerve damage to my leg which was just starting to feel normal, so it was a setback in that regard, but not as bad as I first feared. I did feel foolish, though.

Iris Flavia said...

Nice the people came rushing. I once fell badly, too, and there were others for help. We live in a good world.
Looking forward to tomorrow!

Shari Burke said...

It was nice of them. That was a bright spot in the day :-)

Vicki said...

I'm glad you were ok and not injured in your fall! I'm really enjoying this story!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki! I was thankful that the fall didn't do any real damage!

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm catching up with your posts and enjoying reading them :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan!