Friday, December 4, 2020

Egg Bake? Crustless Quiche?

 I'm never sure what to call this, but I used to make it a lot, although never the same version twice. For some reason, I just got out of the habit of making it--I think because I used to use chard in it, which I had a good deal of for several years and don't have access to anymore. But I had some stuff that needed using and this was perfect for that. This version is yummy, even without the chard. 😋 And of course, since I was going to spend time chopping and having the oven on, I decided to be efficient and make a bunch so we'd have leftovers.


In this version, I used carrot, tenderstem broccoli, courgette, red bell pepper, red onion, smoked salmon, extra mature cheddar cheese, a bit of cooked brown basmati rice, and eggs beaten with a bit of milk. In the past, I've used different veg, turkey Italian sausage (which is sadly not a thing here), and various kinds of cheeses. 

I'll put what I did for this version below. I used fresh veg, but leftovers are great in this as are thawed frozen veggies.

Cook a bit of rice, if desired, or use leftover cooked rice or other grain. I cooked 1/2 cup (dry) of brown basmati.

Finely chop two large carrots and some tenderstem broccoli (or regular broccoli--cauliflower would be good, too). For the broccoli, set the florets aside in a bowl. Put the carrot and and chopped broccoli stalks in a bowl, cover with water and microwave for 13 minutes, or until crisp tender.

While that's cooking, chop a large red onion, a red bell pepper and two small courgettes and sauté in some olive oil, stirring frequently. If you want to add sausage or other meat, cut it up and add to the pot, cooking with the veggies. When they are soft (and the meat, if using, is cooked through), add the broccoli florets and stir around for a minute or two, then remove carrot and broccoli stems from water with a slotted spoon and add to the rest of the veggies. You can add garlic, fresh or granulated--I usually add the latter, but forgot this time. I also forgot herbs. I usually add oregano, basil, and parsley, fresh or dried, depending on what I have. You can use whatever herbs you like or none at all. This batch was tasty even without them--Bill put some ground black pepper on top of his and I used what is sold as barbeque seasoning at Aldi. It comes in a grinder and has garlic, jalapeno, chilli, and mustard and is great on eggs.

Grease a 13x9" pan and add the cooked rice and veg. Use shredded or cubed cheese to taste. I added some chopped smoked salmon to this one and mixed everything together. beat 8 eggs and add some milk. Bake at about 185 C (fan oven) for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let sit for a few minutes and cut into portions. 

If you don't want this much, just use fewer veg, fewer eggs, and a smaller pan. 

I do love my planned leftovers!

I hope you're safe and well! 😷

5 comments:

Vicki said...

I made something similar last week. It's weird how recipes we make for years suddenly get forgotten.

Lowcarb team member said...

I'd call this a wonderful dish of great tasting food :)
Thank you for sharing your recipe, it looks and sounds delicious.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

It is weird how we stop making things for a while. It w

Thanks, Jan! Nice to have the leftovers,too. Good hot or cold.

Iris Flavia said...

OK, I finally looked up chard - we call in Mangold and I´d had no idea where to get that!
Oh, we once had a "Garlic-accident" when Ingo used granulated one and we had no idea you need very little to go a loooong way.
We must´ve smelled bad.
Hmmmm... cheese!
And leftovers are always great!
I think I´ll make kale soon - loads of leftovers and it´s the season (no Christmas Market this year, but I can do that).
Yours looks fab!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Iris! Chard isn't much of a thing here, but I was able to find some seeds during the couple years we had a garden and I grew a lot. Like kale and many other eafy greens, it freezes beautifully--perfect for winter soups.

I was introduced to chard in Maine, when I volunteered at a food bank/food pantry/soup kitchen. We got a lot of donations from organic farms in the area, including lots of chard. There was more than we could give away, so we got to bring some home. We discovered we liked it!