Saturday, December 5, 2020

Checklist

 I came across this poem I wrote years ago about January in Fairbanks. Shortly before I found this, I'd read an article about our destruction of our environment and the devastation of climate change. I thought again about how glad I am that I experienced the arctic and subarctic before it was gone forever. Sometimes I still miss it, although I do understand that it would be harder now that I am older.

CHECKLIST

To do before going to work

at the university

on a January Fairbanks morning

at 45 below zero in the dark:

-make myself get out of bed

-throw on coat

some pants

and boots with good tread

-take a deep breath

-get to truck as quickly as possible

without falling

-try to ignore icy air

stabbing inside of lungs

like shards of broken glass

-start car

-get back inside

-take off winter gear

-wait for car to warm up

-pack lunch

-make tea

-begin layering:

  summer shirt

    winter shirt

      heavy socks

        well-treaded boots

           hat on head—make sure ears are covered

             on with the coat

                scarf around face and neck

                  last of all—mittens

-waddle to warm car

-try not to feel like a sausage

stuffed in a tight casing

-drive down hill

-find parking spot

-plug in car

-waddle toward building

carefully over ice rink

that used to be asphalt and cement

-arrive safely

-immediately begin sweating

-peel off 

  mittens

    scarf

      hat

-fish for keys

-enter office

-remove boots

-put on sandals

-place boots

   hat

      scarf

         mittens

in damp pile behind door

-drape winter shirt over chair

-hang coat on hook

--wish I could turn down heat

-open window to breathe

-settle in to prepare for class/read and grade essays/meet with students/dread meetings/get some research done/study

--at around lunchtime, stop everything to gaze out the window at Denali in the distance, rising out of the sunset, surrounded by an orange lake of fire.



11 comments:

Vicki said...

Beautiful, it sounds like a great day! I miss the snow so much, but my sister does send me photos when she gets some which I love, but it's not the same.

My ex was in Fairbanks in the 80's for a short time when he was in the Army, he loved it!

Shari Burke said...

I miss snow, too, sometimes. It doesn't get very cold here, although where we are now is very windy because it's right on the North Atlantic and the wind can be sharp and make it seem cooler. What I don't like about winter here is that when it gets just cool enough, rain turns into hail or sleet and/or it freezes into a thin layer of black ice on the roads and sidewalks. If there is snow and thick ice, I can wear my spikes to walk and not slip, but nothing to be done on black ice or sleety coating except avoid it!

NanaDiana said...

I love this, Shari. I can picture the whole day played out here. I see you miss snow- I wish I could load ours up and send it to you---when we get it, that is. It is late coming this year. xo Diana

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Diana!

Snow here would sure be interesting! Chaos 😆

Iris Flavia said...

Huhhhh, no.
And no warm car. Scratch the ice before you hop into the cold one (luckily only a couple of mornings - once my old shoes even broke due to... being old and the cold).
You plug in the car? Into what??? Sandals?
Oh. I glad I´m here... Even if it means sandals only for a couple of weeks.
Wow. My respect for doing this! I think I´d stayed in bed ;-)

Shari Burke said...

When it's that cold, you have to let the car run for a while, otherwise it won't go anywhere :-) Sometimes they don't start at all. Cars all have engine and oil pan heaters so things don't freeze and there are outdoor plugs at home and in car parks. We got used to seeing plugs hanging out the front of all the cars.

Sandals were great for the university, where the heat was on too high, so it was hot. I learned to never put away summer clothes, because anytime I was indoors (unless in my own home), I had to peel off layers. And you know, when it's -45 and then goes up to 0 (F), it feels warm.

I feel the same way about heat as you do about cold. By heat I mean upper teens (C) and above. Sun and heat make me ill, so I have to be careful. But I have a high tolerance for cold! :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Oil pan heaters?? Oh! Crazy (and useful).
Oh, yes. 1C outside - 25C in the shops, Ingo stays home these days, he cannot take this!

I am allergic to the sun (thank you, dumbness! In Australia I went outside without sunscreen very shortly a couple of times) - but I loooove sun and heat. 40C or more... OK, only when being there, here 30+ is great.

And I am so glad I have no car no more!

Shari Burke said...

Car free is wonderful--we love it!

JFM said...

Hi Shari!
This is wonderfully written.
I am a big believer in lists.

Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan! Nice to 'see' you! I'm a list kind of gal, too. :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Enjoyed this Shari :)

All the best Jan