Saturday, March 19, 2022

Wake-Up Call on a Warm Sunny Spring Morning

 Looks like summer is coming early to us this year. We've had a couple days of bright sunshine and warmer than average temperatures. It's going to stay this way but even warmer for the week ahead. It will feel like summer, which I am not happy about. As I was sitting quietly, drinking my tea and really feeling the seasonal tiredness that comes with waking up too early, some words started meandering through my brain. I wrote them down, mindful as I did so that they come from someone in a privileged position. I am not hungry or thirsty, not seeking shelter, and there are no bombs falling on my home.  Nonetheless, the words kept nudging me and writing them down cleared up some space in my brain. Here they are.

Wake-Up Call on a Sunny Spring Morning
I open my eyes
to a bright sunny morning.
It settles
on me like a
lead blanket.
Do I have to get up?

Focus! 
I remind myself
Feel and acknowledge!
OK, I’ll try.
Hello, heavy weight
of depression.
Greetings, fluttery wasp buzz
of agitation.
Here you are again--
arriving with the warm sunny weather
a bit early this year.

I confess--
as always--
even though I knew
you’d be coming
I’m not 
ready
and
I’m not
happy
to have you back.


But here you are
unwelcome guests--
settle in.
Let’s get reacquainted--
since you’ll be here
for months
we might as well.

You’ll burrow in.
I’ll get used to
agitation’s jumpy hum,
constant soundtrack
to my days.
You’ll suck
the energy out of me, 
depression,
as I drag
your ball and chain
through each hour.

I’ll function anyway,
trying to be in 
each present moment
as it arises—
or at least 
trying
to do better.

Still, if I’m honest
I must admit
I don’t particularly
enjoy
your company.
I’ll be looking
forward
to your departure.

When summer goes
you can go with it.
I won’t miss
any of you
when
you’re gone.

19 March 2022
Bunbeg, Co Donegal

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I don't like the heat and especially the humidity we get in Florida in the summer at all, but it doesn't depress me like it does you. Makes me wonder how many people feel the way you do during this time. I'm hoping that it's easier on you this year. Hugs!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki! 🙂 I'm working on my attempts to approach this stuff in a different and more useful way.

Eileen in Fla. said...

You captured the beginning inklings of a depressive spell coming on. Churchill wrote eloquently about depression, calling it the "black dog."

Shari Burke said...

It shows up every spring. Just like some people have issues in winter, I have them in spring and summer. I much prefer autumn and winter 🙂