Wednesday, March 9, 2022

I'm From Nowhere

A guy came this afternoon to fix the bathroom window. We recently had several storms in the space of 10 days or so and during a few of those days, the wind was blowing hard straight from the Atlantic behind us and across the side of the building, opening our bathroom window in the process. It wouldn't stay closed until I used packing tape to keep it shut and Bill wedged a towel around the handle between it and the bottom pane. Apparently, the latch was corroded or something which is common in the salty sea air. This guy had come to look at it a couple weeks ago, and was talking about getting up on the ladder to fix it from the outside, since it's situated in such a way that makes it impossible to fix from inside without removing the window. At the time he was here, another wind warning--orange this time--was just coming into effect and 100 kph gusts were possible. Bill suggested to him that it might not be the best time to be up on the high ladder at the top of a hill as the wind blew gales from the sea. Upon reflection, Window Guy decided to come back another day. Today was that day.

He fixed the latch then came up to check it and to measure the window in the living room that had been replaced by someone else who broke the new window in the process. Then he wanted to chat. He commented that we're not from here and we talked about that and other things.

A while later, I saw a comment from Linda on yesterday's post about the names of the grocery store in the next village. She talked about people 'holding on to the past.' This is in a good way--it brought to mind the idea of having good memories, feelings of attachment, home, etc. As I read her comment, I was thinking about how different my experience is. Many people like Window Guy have asked us things like, 'Are you going home for the festive season?' I always reply that I am home. People have asked me through the years where I am from or where I call home. My answer to the first question is, 'I'm from nowhere.' and to the second it's, 'Wherever I am at the time.' I honestly do not have anyplace that I think of as 'home' other than wherever I live. When we tent-camped across the northern US, we'd set up the tent and I would create my little corner and that was home for however long we stayed there. The longest I've lived in any one place is about a decade, so there has never been time for me to be nostalgic or remember how things used to be in the place I am. We almost never go back to places we've lived once we've moved. And while I try to learn from the past and know that some things will always stay with me, I don't really feel connected to a place and I never have. Honestly, I am not comfortable in the consumer capitalist world into which I was born. I understand it really well though, and that helps me maneuver through it, but as an outsider. This quote by Simone de Beauvoir is totally me, 'I was made for another planet altogether. I mistook the way.'

I grew up in corporate suburbia, which was a nightmare. What I learned growing up was how not to live. I have never not been an outsider. I learned how to be an anthropologist and an actor at a very young age, since I had to learn the rules I was supposed to follow and then proceed to at least present the right persona, even as the real me was (mostly) kept hidden and private. This was true within the biological family unit and in public. I am very good at these things. 

Because I had to start observing and understanding what was going on around me at a young age, I have always felt at a distance from places and most people. I truly have been doing a form of participant observation for my entire conscious life. This has served me well and I wouldn't know how to be any other way. Nor would I want to. As an adult, I am always grateful for the observational and analytical skills being a perpetual outsider bring me. But it does contribute to the fact that I hold things lightly. I don't get attached to things/places/situations or think things will stay the same--change happens. Sometimes I can see it coming and prepare and sometimes it comes out of the blue and I have to adapt quickly. I do not put down roots. Having too much stuff agitates me. People have asked us if we've ever considered buying a house here. No. Just the thought feels like an anchor around my neck. First of all, we're not DIY types and we're learned from past experience that we don't like home ownership. I like the fact that I've experienced life in various kinds of places and that I can walk away from wherever I am when it's time to move on with a minimum of fuss. I love not owning furniture, dishes, etc.  I used to think that I would love to find *my* spot and settle in for years and years. Then I got some clarity and understood that I'm just not made that way and I would be miserable. 

Bill lived in the same place for the first 20 years or so of his life. He talks about places and memories of that place still. He can look at a picture of what it's like today and tell me about what used to be there. When we were going to Maine, he suggested we take a detour through the place in New Hampshire where I was forced to move when my father got a promotion at work. I was not at all interested. Living there was horrible and I truly did not care whether or not the house was even standing anymore. But he was driving and he went in that direction. He asked me once or twice if he was going in the right direction and I had no idea. I just didn't remember--or care. He found it, we drove by, I glanced at it to make him happy and then we left. I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything about the place 5 minutes after we'd gone. 

We've listened to many stories told by people about their memories and the way things used to be in a particular place. Sometimes this has been in the context of sitting around with friends or acquaintances. We've done more formal life story work with people as well. And we hear a lot of stories when we're on a bus or we have conversations with people there or in gatherings we happen to attend. I love hearing these stories and I enjoy reading about people's life experiences on blogs and in comments. These things help me understand both the world around me and my place within it, especially since these experiences are so different from my own. 

8 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I am definitely a home person, so it is interesting to read how you've lived. I grew up in Worcester, MA, which I didn't like either, but I am happy in New England. It's nice to visit places, but always good to come home. But I do envy you being able to find home wherever you are.

Shari Burke said...

I'm a homebody myself. Like you, I am always happy to get home, wherever that happens to be. 😃

Bill grew up in MA, too.

Linda said...

I like to picture my loved ones in places they are or were. I loved seeing where my mom grew up and went to school, fell in love and started a family. I like it when the kids send me pics of their homes so I can visualize them in their spots. It makes me feel connected and I love feeling connected. It's a rather new feeling for me....it feels warm and homey.

Shari Burke said...

That's wonderful!

A friend used to ask me for pics of the places we moved to for the same reason. :-)

Jackie McGuinness said...

I'm like you. Although we do own, downsized, I have simply walked away whenever we moved without a backwards glance. My stepson took a photo recently of where we lived when he was a kid. My husband thought that was wonderful and I just glanced and shrugged. He couldn't understand.
He often says shall we drive by such and such and I say why?

Shari Burke said...

This is the first place we've lived where we still go back to the place we lived before, which feels really weird. In the past, we used to move hundreds or thousands of miles to get to a new place. Now as we've moved around Donegal it's not as far. This time we moved to a very rural area so we go back to the small town for various things.

Vicki said...

I grew up in Ohio and loved my childhood. Whenever I go back there to see my sisters and other family members I go by the 2 houses I grew up in and try to see my childhood friends if our schedules work out. But, I also have a wondering soul because my dad worked for the state and in the summers we'd rent a house wherever he was working at the time, then when it was time for school to start we'd go back home. We also had a camper and would go to different campsites in the state. Since then I've always wanted to buy a small camper and be a nomad, without all the "things" you have when you own a home. I understand how you feel.

Shari Burke said...

Those summers sound really cool!

I sometimes call myself a domestic nomad 😃 I am a homebody who moves my home around instead of taking long trips. Van life seems very appealing in many ways! When we camped across the northern US, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it!