Saturday, March 26, 2022

They Should Get It Back

 Tonight at 1 am we move the clocks forward. Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I think moms should get that hour back! Seems like mothers of small children would be especially grateful for that hour of sleep! If they're anything like me, this time change requires days of adjustment. I'm fine with the autumn time change, but this one always messes me up. 

Now that we'll be jumping forward, there will be what is called 'the grand old stretch' in the evenings. I'm happy that we'll get an extra hour of darkness in the morning. 

When we were humble servants to various critters, the autumn time change was the issue. They liked springing forward well enough, although it took a few days for them to understand that this did not mean an extra meal at the 'new' time and the regularly scheduled meal at what their internal clocks were telling them was the correct time for grub. They were not at all happy after we would 'fall back' to have to wait that extra hour. 

Every morning, the sled dog (who let us know early on that she was actually a bed dog) would sit right next to Bill while he was sleeping and stick her nose in his face. She would shift and get more restless as time went on. The cat would sit on his chest and glare at him. I used to lay very still with my eyes closed. He used to try to ignore them until he couldn't stand it anymore. After the autumn time changes, he would have an extra hour of this. He once commented that I never got up. 'Damn right,' I replied, 'If I do it even once, they will expect it. As it is, they don't expect me to get up and don't pester me--that's the way I like it!' ๐Ÿ˜‚

Happy days.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Very funny post! I've always said animals can tell time. I don't even have to see what time it is, they let me know by coming over to me, sitting down, and staring at me, and I know it's time to feed them!

Shari Burke said...

You've been trained well ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‰

My name is Erika. said...

My dogs and cats have always woken my husband up over me also. I like it that way too Shari. Hugs-Erika

Shari Burke said...

yup, I was happy to feed them later in the day, but Bill could meet their morning requirements :-)

NanaDiana said...

LOL about your critter time change stories. I made the mistake of getting up to let Scruffy out at 4am one morning and now he comes in and gets me up to let him out about that same time every day of life. sigh. He IS worth it----most days. xo Diana

Shari Burke said...

I once observed that Bill and I were not very good dog trainers but we were excellent trainees! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Rostrose said...

You did that cleverly, dear Shari ๐Ÿ˜‚
In Austria, Mother's Day is celebrated on May 8th this year and our blind old cat sometimes sleeps shorter and sometimes longer - and then wakes us up with piercing baby cries... But regardless of that, I don't like the time change - no matter in which direction. And if I interpret the polls correctly, there are very few people who like the switch and there is very little benefit from the switch either. Nevertheless, it is still and still being adhered to...
However, I wish you happy days, too!
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/03/von-fischen-die-tomaten-dungen-von.html

Shari Burke said...

They were talking about staying on either summer time or winter time a few years ago, then I stopped hearing about it and we kept on changing the clocks! I think people can't agree on which to stay with. Here if we stayed on summertime it would stay dark in the mornings until 10ish in winter, I think. If we stayed on winter time, it would start getting light at 3ish in the mornings during summer.