Thursday, March 10, 2022

Back in the Day

 In addition to the gallery right next to the library, there's a space within the library devoted to small art exhibitions. We've seen some wonderful art over these past several months. The current display is no exception. We spent some time looking at this artist's work and fell in love with some of it. Because of the way homes are constructed here, it's not a simple matter to put in nails or other hardware for hanging things, so we never know what we will find in that regard. Also, because we move a lot, we don't want anything large. All that is to say that unless a painting or other artwork is small, we can't consider it, no matter how drawn we are to it. On the other hand, we love having people's art and craft work around us, in addition to my own textile creations and Bill's photography. We have been talking about trying to find a small piece of art by a local artist, even if it's in the form of a greeting card. We were thrilled to discover that the artist currently showing his work at the library is selling prints as well as paintings. Yay! 

Many of his pieces were interior scenes of old cottages, depicting what they might have looked like back in the day. It was hard to choose, but we opted for this one:
Next time we go to the library, I will ask the librarian to write down the artist's name for me so I can look him up. There were no business cards or anything with his name printed out and I can't read the signature. Every combination I try leads nowhere, so he might not even have an online presence. Whether I find him online or not, I'm happy to have this piece of work to add to our small collection. 

UPDATE: The librarian wrote down the name for us--it's Seamus Doohan. He is also a walking guide.

5 comments:

Jackie McGuinness said...

I did a couple of searches - this was the best fit.
O’Dwyer Variant: Dwyer In Irish: O Dubhuidir

Vicki said...

I love it, it was a great choice!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jackie! Nothing comes up when I search with that name, so maybe he doesn't have an online presence--that's not uncommon here.

There were some excellent ones to choose from, Vicki :-) I loved all his interiors.

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari,
this print of a piece of art looks really pretty - the subject of the picture strikes me as calm and cozy, so there's something very soothing about it. That's good in these times...
All the best and happy weekend!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/03/kleine-auszeit-mit-hindernissen-in.html

Shari Burke said...

Yes--I'm a big fan of calm and cozy! Enjoy your weekend--I keep thinking it's Saturday already.