Monday, April 19, 2021

Happy Mail!

 We arrived at our door this morning with our weekly shop done and dusted, and spotted the postman a couple doors down. He looked up and I waved to him. He turned and started walking towards us. This was a hopeful sign, because it meant he had some small parcels that would not fit through the slot in our postbox. I was hoping it would be a book or two. Oh happy day! It was exactly what I'd hoped it would be! Two books--yippee!

The first was one I'd asked Bill to find a used copy of--Agatha Christie's second Tommy and Tuppence book, which is a collection of short stories--Partners in Crime. Someone mentioned it on a recent podcast or booktube video and I thought, 'Well, I haven't read that for yonks. Time for a re-read.' I thought it was on my e-reader, but although I have lots of her other books, I don't have that one. Next I checked the e-book section of the library website. They don't have it either. So Bill looked for it and found an ex-library copy, which is now mine. 😁

The other book is another one I'm excited about. I learned of it a couple weeks ago on an episode of the Shedunnit podcast titled The Many Afterlives of Hercule Poirot. The author was really interesting and the book sounded fabulous. I told Bill about it and unbeknownst to me, he found it and ordered it, only telling me it was on the way a couple days ago.
I can't wait to dive into this one! I am a couple hundred pages away from finishing the chunky novel I started the other day, so I will try to finish that today or tomorrow at the latest so I can start my new ones. I don't think I could make myself wait much longer than that!

I highly recommend the Shedunnit podcast if you're a fan of Golden Age detective fiction. It comes out every other week on Wednesdays and is usually around 25 minutes long. The topics are varied and it's clear that Caroline Crampton does a lot of research for each one. Often there are guests who are experts on whatever the topic is, as with the author of my new book. Check out the episode page here and have a listen to one that strikes your fancy! 😊

And now, back to my reading!

6 comments:

Rostrose said...

I'm very happy for you, dear Shari! I love Agatha Christie's books, she has a unique narrative style. I had not heard or read anything about Dr Mark Aldridge yet (he is apparently not very well known in Austria or in German-speaking countries), but I have now researched a bit ...
All the best,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/04/sonnengelbe-tage-stift-gottweig-co.html

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Traude! I hadn't heard of the author until I listened to the podcast, so I'm glad I listened. I wouldn't have even known about the book to look for it otherwise!
Have a great week!

Vicki said...

"yonks"! I love that you added a not so familiar word!

The books sound good, I'll be waiting for your reviews.

Shari Burke said...

It wasn't familiar to me, either, until I got to Ireland :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Yay for happy mail! Oh, I just went to amazon and beep got a book recommended by Mae.
I think it´s great we are such a supportive community (just.. I have too many books!!)

Shari Burke said...

When we move, I do consider the weight of our books, but I overcome my thoughts of having fewer ;-) This is another reason why I miss the library, though. I would have bought these two in any case because I want to keep them, but there are others I would have borrowed. A friend did take a box for donation to a used bookshop in Northern Ireland, but we have three more boxes that need to go somewhere because we're done with them. Meanwhile, the postma brings more. Oh well, there are worse addictions :-)