Friday, April 9, 2021

Easy Peasy Pizza

 Friday is pizza for supper night in our home. We like thin crust, so when I used to make crust, I would roll it out as thinly as I could and it was good. I've also used English muffins and pitta bread as crust. Again, good. We liked it. But then one day, I decided to do something different. I had some wholemeal wraps that needed using, so pizza crust seemed like a good way to do that. I haven't made pizza any other way since. It's just the way we like it best. I use wholemeal wraps most of the time, but of those aren't available, I buy the seeded wraps instead. One wrap is too flimsy to hold the toppings, so I use two that are 'glued' together with cheese and go from there. These are the two different pizzas I made tonight, but the possibilities are, of course, endless.

Tonight, I had some of this sliced mild cheddar that needed to be used, so that was my 'glue.' I use whatever cheese I have in varying amounts--mild or mature cheddar, sliced or shredded, or mozzarella.
Then i just place another wrap on top of ths and build the pizza from there. Bill likes tomato sauce, so I use what is called tomato puree here and tomato paste in the US. It's good and thick, so doesn;t run off when I spread it around. I then sprinkle on garlic granules, oregano, and basil.
I also like this, but lately, I've been liking pesto with some oregano sprinkled on top better, so that's what I've been making.
I sprinkle on the cheese--mozzarella or a mix of that and cheddar--and add diced bell pepper, sliced onion (I really like red onions for this, but any will do), and if we have some, fresh broccoli florets cut into very small pieces. We didn't have any fresh broccoli today.
I like pickled jalapeno slices on mine, too.
That's it! I stick it in the oven and wait for the cheese to melt, get bubbly and brown at the edges.

Sorry about the photo above--too much steam. You can just see, in the upper right hand corner, how the pesto browns nicely at the edge--it's sort of caramelized. It's so good! It's crunchy and a wee bit chewy.

Bill likes his with a few grinds of black pepper. I put on some grated Parmesan and grind some of this on top:
Aldi has it in summer, so I get it then to last until it comes back again. It is so good--a mix of jalapeno, garlic, chilli, and mustard. I'm nearing the end of my supply, so hope it returns soon.

That's all there is to it. Funny how sometimes the most simple things can be the best. It's quicker to make this than it would be to get one from a takeaway and it is so much better. 





.




11 comments:

Vicki said...

Looks so good! Friday night is pizza night in our house too. I like thin crust with light sauce. Sometimes we order out but if I make it at home I use either Tortillas, New York Five Cheese Texas Toast, or Publix ready made pizza crust to make the crust. So yummy!

Shari Burke said...

It's hard to go wrong with pizza 🍕! Then again, I have not tried the tuna and sweet corn pizza that is on every pizza menu I've seen here! 😳

Brenda said...

My favorite chef boy r dee...first pizza I ever had
I make thin crust
Sauce
Sprinkled Parmesan
Once in awhile vegan cheese
Sometimes make my own crust and my own sauce with tomato paste and spices yummm

Shari Burke said...

So many delicious ways to have pizza!

Lowcarb team member said...

Friday night is a good night for Pizza - just ask our Grandson :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

I wonder if your grandson would agree with me that any night is a good night for pizza! ;-)

Joy said...

This is a great idea too! It's always so fun to see some of our similarities in things we've tried.

Years ago I had those long thin lavash breads from Trader Joes sitting around and decided to use them as pizza foundation. It became our favorite thing to use because they get crunchy along the edges along with the cheese and toppings. Making your own pizza is so good we often use garlic alfredo sauce for the 'sauce' and maybe a bit of tomato-based hot sauce in it or other favorite flavors and seasonings. We have used salsa etc to thin refried beans over the sauce as well so it's like 'Mexican pizza' (the kids called it) and still put the other toppings on so it had proteins whether we used meats or not. (Usually not because it was so good already.) The combination of crunchy foundation, crunchy/caramelized bean spread and crunchy cheese is so so good everything else is almost an after thought. We put other things like left-over steamed veg, tiny sliced green onion, olives, garlic powder, jalapeno or various 'hot' seasonings like yours etc. It would cook-up in about 15-20 mins in the convection oven.

I need to try the purple onion, that looks great!

Shari Burke said...

We used to LOVE Mexican pizza. I used corn tortillas instead of the flour wraps. Then on went layers of beans, salsa, jalapeno, cheese, etc. They don't sell corn tortillas in the grocery stores here. I did get them in a store in Northern Ireland once and I can order online, but they're not good ones made with just corn, lime, and water like I used to use. The ones here are made mostly with flour and a bit of cornmeal. I did try making the Mexican pizza with them and it was too soggy. The corn tortillas I used to use would crisp up. These just got mushy. :-(

Joy said...

Ohh shoot I'm sorry I know Old El Paso here sells the flat Tostada shells that crisp-up to a point that it's just delicious. We would just crisp them under the burner until they turned a bit brown and smelled almost like bacon and add the toppings after so they wouldn't go soggy between oven and plate. We'd do open face or closed (with two) on occasion. I think the 'brushing' of garlic alfredo sauce kept the lavash rectangles from getting too soggy somehow and probably the action of the convection oven baking it thoroughly. Maybe these were a bit thicker than yours? Maybe doubling would make the difference like you do with these others or one of each? It's so fun, we seem to have similar flavor preferences. =)

Shari Burke said...

It was just that the corn tortillas here are of lower quality. I used to use the ones in the US to make tortilla chips, too, but the ones here are lame. Mexican food isn't much of a thing here. I only just got taco shells. A natural foods store we order from online got some in. Those tacos were so good! 🙂

Joy said...

Oh great we always tip the taco shells upside down to hang from the rack so they mostly keep their shape and they can crisp-up real nicely if the oven is already hot in only a few mins. I hope you find some good alternatives, maybe a store somewhere will start carrying the lavash, we'd make it into calzone as well by doing the same sort of things but folding it in half leaving it in one piece. The crisp is just so good. =)