Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Thrilled!

 A few weeks ago, I was reading on the RTE website when I came across a book review. I immediately decided I wanted it, but when I looked for it, discovered that it wouldn't be published until the end of this month. I figured I'd go back to look at some other time. What I didn't know was that Bill made a note of the publication date and ordered it. We were both surprised when it arrived today! I didn't know it was coming and he didn't know it was coming this soon.

This is the book:
Andrew Fitzsimons is an Irishman who is Professor of English Language and Cultures at Tokyo’s Gakushuin University. This book contains translations, dates of creation, and annotations for all 980 of Basho's haiku, as well as an extensive introduction, glossary, index of poems in both Japanese and English, and more. According to the review, "It’s a real landmark publication, described by the poet and Oxford Professor Bernard O’Donoghue as "a moment of huge significance in world poetry."

Fitzsimons is a poet himself and brings that experience to this work. 

I am so thrilled that this book exists and that I have a copy! It will be so great to take a deep dive into this work. I expect to learn a lot.

John Kelly's review can be found here and is definitely worth a read.


7 comments:

Vicki said...

I'll be looking forward to your review.

I love when Bill surprises you with a gift, even more when he surprises himself too :)

Shari Burke said...

He really took it to the next level this time by surprising himself, too. ;-)

Brenda said...

He is sweet.

Linda said...

I have not had much experience with haiku beyond middle school. A few years back when I read The Elegance of the Hedgehog I thought about picking up a book but never did. Would love to read one that you especially enjoy.

Shari Burke said...

He is, Brenda :-)

The Elegance of the Hedgehog--great book! One book that I really like is The Essential Haiku by Robert Hass. It's translations of three haiku heavyweights, Basho, Issa, and Busan. It's a very accessible book--like you, I didn't really know much about it except what I was taught in school, some of which was wrong. It's also interesting to see how haiku has been adapted for other languages all over the world. The Haiku Foundation has a lot of great stuff on their website ( https://thehaikufoundation.org/ ) including free e-books/e-chapbooks from all over. I am pretty sure I was able to download a book of Basho haiku from there. They have interesting interviews with haiku poets, which are very informative. You can get a daily email from them. Both Bill and I like Tinywords ( https://tinywords.com/ ) and get a daily email from them with a small poem. I think you'd really enjoy some haiku/small poems (as a reader and writer) because you have an excellent way with words and excellent observation skills, particularly when it comes to nature and your surroundings in general. :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done to Bill for ordering this for you.
A lovely surprise.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

It was! :-)