Thursday, November 3, 2022

Bargain of the Day

 Sometimes I like to make rye bread. Rye flour isn't something that I normally see in the grocery stores. One year Aldi had some around Christmastime, but that was a few years back now. I end up getting it online at a natural food store in Galway. I like caraway seeds in my rye bread, but although I haven't looked in a while, the naturql food store didn't have any when last I needed them, so I when I saw some in a grocery store in Dungloe, I bought them paying €2.79 for a jar containing 38g. I'm nearing the end of the jar, so I started looking around again. 

Last week, Bill was on a site called Nuts in Bulk. They sell things in various container sizes and have many other things besides nuts. I checked to see if they have caraway seeds. They did, so I got the smallest package they sell. Our order came today. 
You can see my supply is more than adequate to my needs! 😂 I will not have to go in search of caraway seeds again for as long as I live. The 500g bag cost €3.15. Shipping was free. As it happens, a friend loves caraway seeds, so I will be bringing some to her. 

I also got two tubs of peanut butter and a 4 kg bag of walnut pieces. We use both regularly. I will have to go back to the site and spend more time in the herbs and spices section. It would be handy to have the ones I use a lot in larger packages. Back in the day, when we still lived in the US, I could and did get lots of bulk food, including herbs and spices. Once we moved east, that was no longer an option and bulk foods just aren't a thing in the rural towns and villages we've lived and done our grocery shopping in, so this site is a good option for us. We choose to avoid Amazon and to buy from Irish sites when we can and if not, then from the EU. This is a site we'll use again.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds like a bargain..

Shari Burke said...

And I love the convenience, too!

Vicki said...

I love buying what I can in bulk. It's cheaper and it lasts longer,

Shari Burke said...

Yes!

Brenda said...

I don’t buy in bulk. Living in Florida,I am afraid of bugs…plus not lots of room in my condo. Come to think of it, even in my big homes, I didn’t in bulk. Not sure why. Of course, I have never bought refrigerated items 5at I won’t be using asap…every state in which I have lived, electric would go out…does look like you got a great bargain though…

Shari Burke said...

Bugs would be an issue in some places. I only consider bulk buying (when it's available) for things I know I will use. It saves me from having to constantly keep track and hauling stuff home when I have to buy a bunch of little packages of something. And it keeps packaging to a minimum which we try to do. I'll have to go back to the site to have a look at the herbs and spices that I use all the time. It would be so much more convenient to have a big bag instead of always having to find and carry home small jars and then having to carry them down to the recycle centre! :-) I'm going to check with my friend, too. She loves caraway seeds so I am going to share with her. Maybe there's some other stuff we can do the same with!

Lowcarb team member said...

A good buy!

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

It was! I'll be ordering again--herbs and spices I use all the time :-)