Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Some Kind of Trauma

 We went to Donegal town this afternoon. When we got on the bus to come home, a very thin woman struggling with three or four heavy-looking bags got on and sat in front of me. It was not crowded, so no one was sitting next to her or me (or Bill, who was sitting behind me). She was in the very first set of seats. She settled in for the 1 1/2 hour ride to Dungloe. Based on the language she was using, I figured she was from Ukraine (we have many Ukrainians who have been given refuge and support here in Ireland). I saw that there was some kind of text on her phone--not sure if it was news or a message or what. She picked up the phone, looked at it and started howling, muttering, crying, moaning, and writhing in her seat. This continued for the half hour it took to get to Killybegs, but then she got quiet and I heard her snoring softly as she was curled up across the two seats.

I have no idea what traumatic events this woman has gone through, be they personal or having something to do with the war. I have no idea if she is from Ukraine or a different country or whether this behaviour springs from a mental illness, PTSD, or some other cause. What seemed clear to me was that she was in a great deal of emotional pain. My heart was breaking for her. I felt very relieved for her when I could hear her snoring, because it seemed to me that she needs a great deal of deep rest, among other things. I was hoping that she would not have any nightmares so she could have a respite from the thoughts in her head, which were clearly causing her so much pain. Whatever is so painful for her, may she get the help and rest that she needs to heal.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Poor dear. It's a crazy world made crazier by a few insane men bent on being destructive while propping up their fragile egos.

I wish her well.

Brenda said...

How tragic…I would hope that eventually a person in authority would get her help. Can you imagine her distress?

Shari Burke said...

You're so right, Linda. The cruelty boggles the mind.

I hope she gets help, Brenda. If she is from Ukraine she would get a medical card, but I am not sure how much mental health care is available up here in the back of beyond. From what I understand, things were stretched in that regard. Also, interpreters could be a problem. People use translation apps on their phones to communicate in various situations, but that wouldn't work so well in a care setting.

Vicki said...

So very sad! I don't even want to think about what the people in Ukraine and a few other places are going through.

Shari Burke said...

It is horrific.

Lowcarb team member said...

I would have felt like you did ... thankful when she fell asleep because rest and sleep can help. I do hope she is able to get help and support.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

I hope so, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Qiputaq. Finally found your blog i almost hollered. I think i lost you when my old phone went kaput. Well. I'm here in Kotzebue getting ready to spend Christmas in Anchirage

Shari Burke said...

Uvlaalluataq, Kapniaq! Great to hear from you! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Safe travels! Shona Nollaig!