Friday, November 18, 2022

Well That Was Fast!

 Last week, a friend came to visit, bringing with him a coffee maker. He'd given us an old one when we first met him and we loved it. It was excellent. But eventually, even the coffee maker of the year for 1987 (there apparently is such a thing) gets tired and decides it has had enough. Such was the case with Old Faithful. This happened just before we moved to Bunbeg, where we really didn't have room for one anyway. Our friend offered us this one at the time. We thought he'd given it away, but he brought it, along with some coffee, last week. It was chosen by his late wife and had never been used. He seemed happy that someone would be happily using it.

Coffee is starting to be more of a thing here, but it's still nothing like what we were used to in the western US or even the east coast, which had quite limited options in the grocery store. When we arrived here, there was mostly instant coffee, although there was a bit of ground coffee for coffee makers. Now everyone seems to be into the pods and our local grocery store does not even sell ground coffee. Before, we'd just used the plain coffee they had at Aldi, which comes in small bags. This time, Bill decided he wanted to try different kinds of coffee so he went online to see what was available. After looking at various places, we opted Kaffekapslen We chose a sampler pack of 5 different coffees--1kg of each. It ships from Denmark. Communication was excellent and shipping was cheap and fast. It arrived this morning.
apple for scale
Because we had no coffee filters, we couldn't use the machine right away. We couldn't find any here or in Killybegs, so Bill ordered some and they came yesterday. This morning we had a visit from a friend of a friend so the coffee maker had its inaugural run. We used the coffee our friend brought and I will use that before I open any of these. We like darker roast, so we might mix the blond with the intenso, but we'll decide once we get there. Very happy to have the coffee maker and a big supply of coffee. Goes well with the book haul, too! πŸ˜πŸ˜‹πŸ˜€

6 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I am so happy you have coffee! I drink way too much of it--black coffee for me except I will get a latte from Starbucks when I am out and about. Coffee has gotten so expensive over the years. I have been a coffee drinker since I was quite young. My gramma Stella used to give me coffee mixed with lots of evaporated milk (which I can't stand now)...lol I think I was all of 5 years old.
I am glad you are set now. You never know--I might just pop in for a cuppa someday! Hugs- Diana

ps. Shari-Can you send me your current address? Thanks

Shari Burke said...

I started late--didn't drink coffee until I was in my mid-20s and we'd moved to Oregon. I could not resist all of the different kinds and flavours. I have made up for lost time in the decades since :-) Like you, we both take it black. And now we know about the health benefits so we can call it health food! Good that you've left the evaporated milk behind, though LOL

You would be welcome here at any time--it would be wonderful to have a coffee visit!

i'll send you an email with our new address :-)

Vicki said...

My oldest son and daughter in law LOVE the coffee from Black & Brass Coffee Roasting Co. I haven't tried it yet but will the next time I'm over there.

Lowcarb team member said...

Enjoy your coffee (and your books)

All the best Jan

Linda d said...

Enjoy your coffee. I never acquired the taste but most of my friends adore it and wouldn’t think of missing a day. What a treat for you and Bill.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan!

How fun, Vicki--good coffee and a visit with your son and daughter-in-law--definitely something to look forward to.

It was moving to Milwaukie that started my personal relationship with coffee, Linda :-D I had never seen such a selection in the grocery store and the beans smelled heavenly when I would walk down that aisle (we'd moved from New England where there was nothing like that). Never drank it before then, but when I fell, I fell hard. It is truly a treat in more ways than one. We will enjoy the coffee, but also the convenience. Since they don't sell any ground coffee in our local shop--only instant and those pod things--we would have to go elsewhere to buy it. We're not people who enjoy shopping so it's great to have it delivered by a friendly postman right to our door. And we have enough that I won't have to think about running out for a long time!