Sunday, November 1, 2020

October Books: Stories

A new month arrives. We had a storm blow through here yesterday. The wind was blowing and we lost power for a while--just as I was going to make a cup of tea. Of course, when I couldn't have my cuppa, I wanted it all the more, so when the power came back on a couple of hours later, the first thing I did was to flip the kettle on. Until then, I had to read without a cup of tea at my side, but I managed 😀

Last month, I read a variety of books. I'll start with story collections
.
Weird Women: Classic Supernatural Fiction by Groundbreaking Female Authors 1852-1923 edited by Lisa Morton and Leslie S. Klinger
I posted about this book when I finished it--that post is here

Bodies From the Library 3: Forgotten Stories of Mystery and Suspense from the Queens of Crime and Other Masters of Golden Age Detection edited by Tony Medawar
I read the first two books in this series, so when I saw this one pop up in the e-book section of the library website, I reserved it. It was just as good as the others.  Some of the work in this book is previously unpublished and/or uncollected work by various authors, including a play by John Dickson Carr and one by Ngaio Marsh. The latter features her series detective, Roderick Alleyn. After each story/play there is a small discussion of the life and work of the author. I highly recommend this series for people who enjoy Golden Age detective fiction.

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James
This is a collection of stories that was first published in 1904, although some of the stories had previously appeared in periodicals. 

A Very German Christmas: The Greatest Austrian, Swiss, and German Holiday Stories of All Time by various authors and translated by various translators
This is a new e-book on the library site. At the end of the book there was a list of other such books from different parts of the world. The subtitle says ‘of all time’ but the stories are all from a 200 year period, from the early 1800s to 1999. It was an interesting read. It’s fun to see what the story tradition is in cultures different from my own.

Here's to a new month of reading!



4 comments:

Vicki said...

Happy November Shari! You books sound interesting. Glad the storm didn't hit you worse!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki!

Lowcarb team member said...

Gosh reading without a cup of tea!
Being a tea lover myself that doesn't sound good!

Thanks for sharing these books, quite a variety.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

I had to forge ahead :-) But the first thing I did when the power came back was to pop the kettle on :-)