Saturday, November 14, 2020

Quick Banana Cookies--Yum!

 I came across a recipe for these quick banana cookies and I thought I'd give them a try. I already had a recipe for a similar thing, but these sounded better. There are only a few ingredients and they take little time to make, so I decided to give them a try this afternoon, so we could try them with our cuppa.
I do like these better than the other banana cookies I've made in the past. As usual, I didn't make these exactly as suggested (I view most recipes as just that--suggestions to be played round with), but changed some things to better suit our tastes. Here's the recipe as I made them:
Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4-1 cup of walnuts--place in bowl of chopper, mini-food processor or regular food processor and pulse until these resemble coarse crumbs, or you could chop by hand

Place nuts in a bowl and add an equal amount of rolled oats (3/4-1 cup), then stir together

Mash 3 bananas with 1 or 2 teaspoons (or to taste) of vanilla extract--I did this in my mini food processor, but it could be done by hand as well--just mash very well.

Add banana mixture to the nuts and oats and stir together. Add in whatever you like. I added dried coconut and dark chocolate mini-chocolate chips. You could add seeds, raisins or other dried fruit. Butterscotch baking chips would be good, if they still make those (they're not a thing here, but I used to love oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips back in the States). White chocolate chips would probably be good, if you like those. You could add cinnamon, if you wanted, or a little cocoa powder. 

Once everything is mixed together, place dollops on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I used my mini-oven and it worked just fine. You want them to be a bit browned on the top and no longer wet or tacky to the touch. Let them cool on the pan. I made 16 cookies, but you could make them larger or smaller--larger ones would probably take a bit longer in the oven and smaller would require less time. 

These are really good, take very little time, and few ingredients. I will definitely be making them again.

7 comments:

Joy said...

These look really good! I know what you mean when you said you look at recipe's as more of a suggestion. I take ideas from them myself but rarely follow anything in exact terms. Most of the time I don't have all the whatevers that go in there so like you say, just kind of wing it and see how it comes out. Hey, did they come out sort of like a brownie or ? I'm thinking you could 'play' with the dough by adding an egg or chia/flax or something if you wanted more cakiness but I tend to like mine more thin as these appear to be. This will sound stupid but is the banana flavor really strong? I know some people may put something like apricot in the blender and use it as a base like the banana here and you almost can't taste it that much. Hmm I wonder if steamed sweet potato or pumpkin in the blender could be used similarly? It could be a base for a holiday cookie maybe with cinnamon and what not. (I can't eat cinnamon but I could see people doing it.)

Shari Burke said...

Yes, you can taste the banana, but it's not overpowering. I don't know how other purees would work--might be a good idea add the egg with those to help it set, since they don't have the same consistency as banana.

Joy said...

Ha I bet you could make all sorts with puree ideas! (I kind of hope you try it since i'm not well set-up here for baking.)

Vicki said...

I love these kinds of cookies but haven't had/made any in years. I'll be trying this recipe soon!

Shari Burke said...

They're good and quick, too, for when you want something a little bit sweet in a few minutes :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Yum :)
Cookies can be so enjoyable.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Yes! Sometimes you just feel like a small treat!