Monday, November 23, 2020

Love! (So Far)

 A few years ago, I read about this book, knew I had to read it, and requested it from the library. When it arrived, I looked at the table of contents and thought I'd like to own it. Bill found a copy without the dust jacket, which was fine with me. Shortly thereafter, it arrived. It has moved with us twice since then and I would often look at it on the shelf and think I should begin reading it. It will require an investment of time and yesterday I decided that the time had come. I am about 1/10th of the way through it and I LOVE it so far. I thought I'd post the contents here in case anyone else is intrigued and wants to read it.







I don't expect to like every story in the book and I will probably read other things while this is ongoing--easy enough with short stories. Sometimes when I am reading something, I get into a mood where I really feel like something else and that something else is often a mystery. For the next little while, at least, when that happens, instead of picking up the e-reader and getting into a classic mystery novel, I'll pick up this book and dive into a story or two.

Stay safe! 😷

13 comments:

Mary said...

Looks like a very interesting book. I'll have to see if I can locate a copy. A lot of those authors I've never heard of, but quite a few I have read. My favorite author in that TOC is Mary Roberts Rhinehart. I've read quite a few of her stories and enjoyed them all.

Shari Burke said...

I've gotten a bunch of her books from Project Gutenberg, but have not read most of them yet--something to look forward to! A few months ago, I read one of Carolyn Wells' books and went to PG to get more. So many books, so little time! :-)

I like that this book is a mix of classics and more modern, well-known and obscure authors.

Brenda said...

Huge book. I have taught so many of the stories...Students always loved to come up with different ideas for "Yellow Wallpaper" Love that book. Love it...enjoy.

Brenda said...

Hope to find this on Amazon...thank you.

Shari Burke said...

Yellow Wallpaper gives me chills every time I read it!

Vicki said...

This sounds really good. I love crime stories and I love short stories! I tried finding a hardcover copy but they cost beaucoup bucks. I may end up getting a softcover.

Shari Burke said...

Bill got it cheap at the time because it had no dust jacket. It sounds like it was a lucky find!

NanaDiana said...

I just jotted this down. I love mysteries! Thanks for the suggestion! I think you and Bill celebrate a sort of Thanksgiving -so Happy Turkey (or whatever you choose) day! Hugs- Diana

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Diana!

Brenda said...

Can only find used so far. Hesitate because often there is a scent I dislike. Silly but might try one anyway.

Shari Burke said...

Not silly at all! As someone who can react in bad ways to smells, I totally understand and have to be wary about that myself!

Lowcarb team member said...

Certainly some good names there, it looks a good book and well found by Bill :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Yes! I'm still loving it 🙂