Sunday, November 15, 2020

Full Christmas

 Last night, or technically in the first minutes of this morning, since it was just after midnight, I heard the beeping sound that some vehicles make when they back up. There were people talking. I wondered what was going on, since these are not usual sounds for a Saturday night. Turns out there was a crew outside putting up the Christmas lights. Yay! I have such pleasant memories of what it was like to come to town just before Christmas last year when we agreed to rent this place. We walked around in the dark and the town looked so beautiful with the lights on. 

Christmas decorations have been displayed in some shops and windows for a few weeks now. These cute snowpeople are in a window on the corner.
There is no Thanksgiving here, although Bill and I do our own on the day. Right after Halloween, then, the Christmas decorations start to go up. This suits me, because Christmas has always been a season for me, not a religious observance. I like the music, the festive decorations, the lights, and the darkness. Looking at the window displays always makes me smile. And this year, these things seem more welcome than ever to many people, I suspect. Our daughter, who lives in the States, tells me that a radio station in her town went to all Christmas music last week. She is happy about that.

It's been a year already since I left Facebook (and I have not regretted the decision to leave once), but I remember how judgemental people were about Christmas music being played 'early.' The anger with which people would complain about other people's decision to listen to whatever they wanted always amused me. Once in a while, I would ask, 'Why does what other people listen to cause you such anger? Is there really nothing else to be upset about?' I guess it was the anger and nastiness that puzzled me, but as I think about it now, it makes sense. Social media is really good at bringing out anger and nastiness. I recently saw a poll on an Irish website asking whether it was too early for Christmas music. Depends who you ask, doesn't it? Personally, I listen to Christmas music of various kinds starting on the autumnal equinox. This is old Christmas music that doesn't sound Christmasy to me. Then I move to Celtic stuff and then the stuff that is more traditional for me. I do not like to listen to Christmas music after Christmas, though, so I don't. For people that do, have at it and enjoy it!

I used to know someone who got really sick. She literally died and was brought back. She was in a coma for weeks and in hospital for months. Some months after she got home, she said her kids wanted to put up the Christmas stuff early, but she was concerned about what others would think. I told her that, especially after what she and her family had been through, she should put up the damn Christmas stuff and enjoy the hell out of it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? 

I suspect it will be a while before the lights are actually switched on, but just seeing them there makes me smile. I look forward to more walks in drizzle and darkness, looking at the window displays while the lights shine, and feeling the peace that always comes to me at such times. I hope you have such moments, too, whatever that looks like for you. Especially this year, I think we can all use many of them!



6 comments:

Vicki said...

I believe in "live and let live". I personally don't do anything Christmas until after Thanksgiving but I know a lot of people who do, and that's fine with me. Stores put out Christmas things right after Halloween and that's ok too. I'm a one holiday at a time person but it doesn't bother me that other people aren't.

Shari Burke said...

Yeah, I don't get the rage, but thankfully, I don't have to! :-) Some of the memes people shared were quite hostile!

Since there is no Thanksgiving here, once Halloween is over, Christmas is the next holiday. Then the day after is also a holiday, St Stephen's Day.

Lowcarb team member said...

I love it when the Christmas lights and decorations start going up :)

All the best Jan

NanaDiana said...

You and I are a lot alike. I don't know why it should matter when we listen to Christmas music or when we put our lights up--or take them down for that matter. Life is to short to get upset over stupid little things.
There are a lot of people that like to set directives for others. I refer to them as "bosses of the world". lol. I have worked with a couple of people like that over the years.
I used to call my little SweetCheeks- BOSS OF THE WORLD...and she was boss of her own little world..and I pretty much danced to her tune because she was a funny child that bossed with humor.
I hope you and Bill love living in your new place for a long time. Hugs- Diana

Shari Burke said...

Me, too, Jan! On the way to the grocery store the other day, we saw a house with a Christmas tree in the window.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Diana!