Thursday, October 8, 2020

Weird Women

 A couple of months ago, I read about this book in, I think, a LitHub email.


I am quite a fab of short story collections by women writers. I especially love collections that feature the work of women who have been 'forgotten' and whose work is no longer published or known, so when I read about this book, which is all of these things, I knew I wanted it. I clicked over to Book Depository, found it and Bill ordered it. I thought it would be a while, because the publication date listed had not yet arrived, but they shipped it within a few days and it quickly arrived. I set it aside to save for October, since Halloween month seemed like a perfect time to read these stories. 

It is a fabulous collection. I am so happy to own it. I read work by women I had never heard of and found a few of them on Project Gutenberg, so I will be able to read more of their work. The book includes an introduction which discusses the ways in which writing was empowering for women. During the years covered in this book, women were able to support their families through their writing and could earn as much as men did, particularly if they used initials instead of names that would identify them as women. There was a market for short stories in periodicals, which many women took advantage of.

I highly recommend this book!



2 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you Shari! I just put it on hold for me at my library. Along the same lines as that book is another book I have in my collection and love to read is "The Web She Weaves" edited by Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini. Bill Pronzini's "The Nameless Detective" series is very good. His wife Marcia Muller writes a detective series too, but I am not as fond of her work.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll look for it! I think I've read one or two of Muller's books over the years.