Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Almost, But Not Quite

 I've been working on this pair of socks on and off for months:

I made them with a strand of sock yarn and a strand of mohair held together for the foot. The cuff is made with the sock yarn alone. I started them months ago, but didn't work on them during the warmer weather. When I did work on them, it was a little at a time because of the tight gauge, which was tough on my hands if I worked on them for long stretches. So it took a while, but little by little they got done and now they're ready for me to pop on my feet in colder weather. They are especially cosy with the mohair.

I got the mohair 5 1/2 years ago at a charity shop. I paid 5 euro for a large cone. Bill said he was surprised I bought it because it's pink. While it's true that pink--especially this pink--is not my favourite sort of colour, it is mohair, it was cheap, and the money went for community projects. I knew I;d find a use for it and so I have. 

The first thing I made was a lacy bed jacket/sweater thing. I use it a lot. 


After that was done, I still had a lot left on the cone.

I made some smaller things, like brooches, using some of it. I made a couple pair of socks using it held together with other yarn. I wore out the first pair I made, but the second pair, made a few years later, is still going strong. I thought this new pair of socks might just finish off the cone, but not quite. I still have a wee bit left.
I'll probably hold it with a strand of thin yarn and weave some squares on my pin loom with what's left on the cone. This cone of mohair went a loooong way!


3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Your feet are going to be so warm and cosy in those new socks :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

They will, indeed--yay! :-)

Joy said...

The little bed jacket is gorgeous!! What a wonderful fabric it made, so delicate and soft. Of course it helps if you have a great ability to create such things. I've never quite been able to get the tension right on my knitting to really make anything of consequence. I seem to have the tension of a crocheter only... You and my cousin can make whatever of either and I envy that a bit. Maybe if I can ever get to a nation where I'm not stressed 24/7 I'd have time to build those kinds of creative skills more since as we know stress really dampens the creativity. The socks are fun and look equally cozy. I love that you got it for 5 Euros and that it went so far, considering it was mohair I'd have expected it to be A LOT more expensive. The fact that your workmanship puts the value in the item makes it that much more meaningful. I could see people asking you to make them baby / child sweaters and things out of it and having a nice little business from things like that but I love that you used it for yourself. (Also maybe it's not so easy to find something like that very often but any 'wool' would do I'm sure they could pick it out and still pay for the items to be made from whatever they want used.) I often think it makes more sense for people to get the yarn themselves when paying for something to be made. They can often not realize the cost of such things and if it's not as they imagined colourwise they can be sort of snippy about it. When you make it for yourself it's sort of 'skies the limit' situation with whatever creativity and colourways etc you want.