Sunday, October 25, 2020

In the Good Old Wintertime

 We changed the clocks back last night, so we're now in wintertime--yay! It's chilly enough for flannel sheets and a wool blanket on the bed--yay! I always sleep so much better with heavy blanket(s) and at this time of year. 

It's been raining for most of the day--very cosy. I spent a quiet afternoon drinking tea and weaving on my pin loom with scraps of mohair yarn I'd picked up at charity shops. I am making a bunch of squares with wool and mohair scraps, which I will put together into a funky sweater when I have enough. 

I do love my little loom. It's a great way to use scraps, because each square uses very little yarn. I wind off enough yarn for each square to do a crocheted border (slip stitch around) which frames the square nicely and allows for a neater and more secure join when it's time to put the squares together. 

I hope it's a cosy day in your neck of the woods, too.


9 comments:

Vicki said...

I like that! I need to do some kind of craft to help pass the time.

It was very hot and humid but at least it wasn't raining :)

Shari Burke said...

I love rain and hate heat, so I'm a happy camper!😀🌧️

Lowcarb team member said...

We had a very wet and quite windy weekend.
The extra hour in bed with the clocks changing was very nice indeed :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Pretty wet here, too and more to come this week! :-)

Joy said...

Oh I've been meaning to ask have you been moving the pins around much or did you settle on a pattern that works for you and you do most of the squares that way?

Shari Burke said...

The pins are glued in--they don't get moved around. They have to be secure to withstand the tension when warping.

Joy said...

PS: As you know I so agree about the change in weather and the clock going back. It changes the balance back to being cooler for the greater part of the evening instead of so blooming hot while you're trying to cook dinner etc. We've had some 'rain sightings' but not a real downpour yet and we really need it since the fires. (It would be very cleansing to have the chemicals/fire sediment etc finally all washed out of the area.) I look forward to a day when I can move to an area more like yours where the weather is at least more moderate most of the year.

Shari Burke said...

Hope you get some rain soon.

Joy said...

Re pins: Ohh that makes sense, I just thought they were secured some sort of way that you could move them about.