Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Hard at Work

 These sheep are hard at work making new wool. πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘



I appreciate their dedication. 

One day we were walking to the grocery store when we stopped to talk at some sheep in a field across the street from the one above. Bill wanted to take a picture, and as he lifted his camera, all the sheep but one turned away from him. Shortly thereafter, I was flipping through a cross-stitch Christmas ornament magazine our daughter sent me a year or two ago and came across an ornament featuring sheep. I used part of the chart, adapting it to fit a narrow scrap of aida cloth I had to make him a bookmark.
When I completed the sheep, it wasn't quite as long as I wanted it, so I added the 'BAA,' frayed the edges, and called it done.

4 comments:

Joy said...

This is really cute I love the sheep pictures and the cross-stitch pattern. Did you do this on plastic canvas or the usual stuff? One thing I like about the canvas is that it has it's own built-in frame work so it doesn't get wrinkled or anything like that. It also can be hung easily, especially if that little hangar is left on it.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Joy. It's done on an aida cloth scrap. Bill found a place on ebay that sells scraps and offcuts--you know how I love using scraps! ;-)

Plastic canvas isn't readily available here, but I used to use it all the time. Back when I was frst starting out with stitching, almost 40 years ago, I once made picture hangings by taking printed photos and placing them in frames I made using plastic canvas and yarn. Then I attached three to a ribbon and voila! :-)

Shari Burke said...

Also, the plastic canvas is good for baskets and stuff, too :-)

Joy said...

I sometimes hang things from the plastic canvas ideas I come up with because it does have that frame work and the stitching just makes it that much stronger. I have put a few pieces together to make it that much stronger. I cross-stitched and crocheted a thing I could hang on the shower curtain rod to hold a towel for drying hands and various things like that. It's held-up for years and matches all my stuff nicely. It's fun how we can 'construct things' out of bits and bobs that are perfectly practical and stand the test of time. Baskets? I hadn't even considered that I'll have to try and find some ideas for them. There are websites that sell all colours and sizes, which surprised me. I know Michaels/Joanns both have quite a bit at their stores.