Thursday, May 18, 2023

Oh No!

 We walked by the charity shop this afternoon and I saw the signs in the window--they're closing. This is a bummer! I know others feel the same. They're not closing by choice and hope to find new premises. For the next week or two, they're still located in the small front room of a house on Main St. It's been for sale ever since we came here for the first time last summer and we later found out that the owner was letting them have the charity shop there rent-free, which was really nice. But now it seems like maybe someone bought the place (not sure) and they have to move.

We've bought a few useful things there, but mostly it was our local bookshop. They had an excellent selection of books, some the usual charity shop finds, but also lots of books that were not what we usually see. It was several months after we moved here that I finally walked out one day without a book. Before that I always found at least one whenever I went in. Now they're trying to get rid of stuff, so the books are even cheaper. We came home with 7 more over the last couple of days--one for Bill and six for me. This bunch included some old Penguin books.


I had never heard of the author/book on the right but I took it because it was a classic. It sounded like non-fiction and when I got home and looked it up I discovered that it is, so I'm very happy with that. I've read some Lessing, but not any of these short novels. I've read some of the Father Brown stories and listened to some dramatizations, but I'm thrilled to have the book. 

Now we hope the charity shop can find a new place to set up shop. In the meantime, we're in no danger of running out of reading material anytime soon. Or anytime within the next few years. 😉

4 comments:

Vicki said...

That's very sad. I hope the find another place to set up their bookstore.

Shari Burke said...

I hope so. Many people will miss the charity shop, no question about it, not to mention the money they raised to be donated to various worthy causes.

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh, I do hope they find another place to open.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

We have our fingers crossed! 🤞