Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Micro/Blooms

 Now that it's not getting cold at night, I'm using the conservatory as a sort of greenhouse. I've got trays of micro-greens growing in there, along with some new succulents that I'm growing from parts of larger plants. I've moved our cacti in there, too. I re-potted a couple of them that had been sharing a pot for years, but which they outgrew. I wondered how they'd do, but there have been no ill effects. In fact, one of them is blooming again this year. It looks like it's wearing a little cap. I was looking at the blooms and they're kind of interesting the way there are little flowers within the flowers.
On the kitchen counter I have my sprouts sprouting. I'm a big fan of leaves and at this time of year I eat a lot of salads, so I'm happy to have the micro-greens and sprouts. I also use them instead of lettuce in wraps and on sandwiches. I have mustard, pea shoots, and cress growing in the conservatory, along with garlic chives. I have scallions growing on the kitchen windowsill. The sprouts are broccoli (on the left) and a mix of radish, fenugreek, Chinese cabbage, and some other things. I also grow alfalfa--it really takes off and has a neutral taste. I usually do three kinds at a time for a nice mix of flavours.
Since summer and I don't get on well, gardening isn't really my thing. But I do like plants and I love having fresh food that is delicious, extremely nutritious, and easy to grow in a small space, there to be picked and added to meals all year. Yum!



4 comments:

Vicki said...

That's so neat that you do so many things like this!

Shari Burke said...

I really enjoy it and we benefit from the results, so it's a win-win! :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

It's nice that you've got a lot of good things growing ...

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

It is indeed!