Sunday, May 21, 2023

Let's Do It Again!

 Yesterday, a small bird flew in through the open conservatory window. This afternoon, it was warm in there again--it gets quite warm fairly quickly and it won't be long before I have to keep the doors closed to keep the heat in there instead of where I am. For now, though, opening the window is enough to keep it pleasant, so around midday, I opened the window, but not as wide as I had it yesterday. This evening, the bird flew back in, sat at a window and chirped. I opened a different window; he flew at it and chirped, then doubled back to the other window. I tried to explain that his chosen window does not open. He gave up and flew at the open window, bumping into it on his way out and leaving a few tiny feathers behind him. I checked to make sure he wasn't on the ground dazed or hurt, but there was no sign of him. I guess I will have to just close the doors when it gets warm in there from now on. It's a shame, because it's a lovely space to sit and stitch, but when it's hot it's unusable. On the other hand, I can't have this bird flying in every day! 

The issue with the conservatory windows is that there is no deep window well. The walls here are very thick, with a foot or so on either side of the windows, so they can be opened and still not sticking out into the air. A bird would have to fly into the window well and under the window to get in. But the conservatory just juts out from the main dwelling and is elevated, so it's in the flight path. Plus, it's on the riverside and the birds like to hang out in a tree that hangs over the river. Maybe this is a young bird who is trying to get his bearings. In any case, while he is very cute, I hope this is his last indoor visit!

8 comments:

Rostrose said...

Maybe he would like to move in your home, dear Shari ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding, I understand the problem. Could you possibly solve it with an insect screen? I'll keep my fingers crossed that a solution that is both bird and Shari friendly will be found!
All the best ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฑ
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/05/costa-rica-11-kapitel-monteverde.html

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Traude! Screens aren't really a thing here, but I've solved the problem for now by leaving both windows open just a crack. There has been a breeze and plenty of clouds so that's been enough for the past few days. When it's really sunny and warm I have to close the conservatory off anyway because it gets quite hot in there.

Lowcarb team member said...

Aww hopefully the bird will learn not to fly in.
However, it looks as if you may have solved the problem :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

So far, so good!

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari,
luckily you found a solution to the bird problem! It's been a while since you've posted anything - I hope you're doing well and you only blog so seldom (like I do at the moment) because other things keep you busy!
All the best and have a nice June ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/costa-rica-12-kapitel-nationalpark.html

Shari Burke said...

Hi Traude,
Thanks for your concern. Summer has arrived here and seems to be going on and on--I don't do well in sun and heat so haven't been feeling great for the last couple weeks, so I haven't felt like I have anything much to say.

Hope all is well with you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Do you know the species?

Shari Burke said...

I think it might have been a grey wagtail, but that's just based on a Google search. Another birdflew into the bedroom this morning. I think that one might have been a starling but as I was half asleep when I was helping it back out, I am not sure.๐Ÿ˜