Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Little by Little

 For several months now, I've been making squares on my pin loom. Not every day, but when the mood struck. I was using up scraps of acrylic and novelty yarns that people have given me through the years. I had fun playing with colour and texture as I made square after square. It's a 4-inch loom, so I knew I'd need a lot of squares to make a blanket. Earlier in the year, I took 70 of them from my accumulated pile to use for a different project, so the blanket had to wait a bit longer to be finished. But the other night, I wove in the last yarn end and it was done!
photo by bill burke

Here are a few pictures that show some more detail of some squares as the blanket is in use on the bed.



I am in love with this blanket. When it comes to making things, there is nothing I like more than playing with scraps. It makes me think of my grandmother, who was a sewist. She would take scraps and odd bits of fabric and make really scrappy quilts--not pattern, just squares sewn together. I loved mine and I remember sitting under it when I was small and looking at all the different colours and patterns in the small pieces of fabric. I do not get on well with sewing machines, so I end up making bits of fabric with yarn instead and get my scrappy fix that way.

When Bill first got me this pin loom and I was learning how to use it, I quickly realized that I didn't care for leaving the edges plain once they came off the loom, so played around until I had a crochet edge I liked. when I'm setting up the loom, I wind more yarn than the instructions call for and do a slip stitch border around each square using that. There is also a long enough tail left to sew squares together. I like the way the crochet frames each square and the way it looks when the squares are sewn together. It's a neater finish and easier to do. It's also sturdier. Unlike some of the mass-produced pin looms, like the Zoom Loom, this one is handmade and is meant to accommodate bulkier yarn--the pins are farther apart. This means I have fewer curves on the edges to use to connect the plain squares, which is why I decided on the crochet border. I wasn't happy with the end result when I tried to sew my first squares together without it, so I adapted. Years ago I had a vintage Weave-It pin loom, but I broke it, probably trying to use yarn that was too thick for the pins. I love having this one because I can use bulky yarn or two or more strands of thinner yarn held together. So many possibilities!

I have not yet used up my odd balls and scraps, and there is another scrappy project in progress. I guess I'll turn my attention to that now, along with some other things. 



10 comments:

Vicki said...

I love it, and it looks so warm. Good job!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki! It is cool enough at night now that I can use it. 😃

Linda said...

That is amazing and I love it. You are quite talented and I got lost in the edging part of the post but not so much that I can't see a beautiful blanket. Well done!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Linda! It is always fun to learn new stuff and experiment!

Rostrose said...

Wow, dear Shari, your blanket has become an unique gem. The weaving and your processing method create extraordinary patterns and textures - fascinating! Funnily enough, I'm also presenting a blanket on my blog today - I finally managed to finish the baby blanket for my first grandchild, YEAH! I'm actually not very good at crocheting, at school I always sweat my yarn gray, but this time I enjoyed it and I'm proud of myself :-D
All the best from Austria,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/11/baby-vorfreude-und-herbst-genuss.html

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Traude!

You should be proud of yourself! You have created such a beautiful and special gift for your new grandchild--one that will be treasured for years to come. Every time I pulled one of my Nana's quilts over me or wrapped up in it, I felt her presence there and the love she put into it--so it will be for your grandchild :-)

Joy said...

Oh good I was so looking forward to this project and the bathmat (in process). I have a simple loom and probably need one more robust like yours. I tend to crochet the edges as well but I somehow seem to struggle with how the sizes come-out and then I figure it'll undulate too much because one yarn is 'this thick' and wide and the next one is less sigh. As of my tension doesn't always seem off as it is. You did it tho and it's nice to see you were able to make different types of squares as you went along. I really haven't seen many variables in this modality as yet. Nice colours and I bet it feels pretty soft and has lots of texture as well! Good job!

I always wish I'd had a relative who made baby blankets and the like, I've done them for other people but somehow never received anything like that. My mom was the gifted yarn worker in the family but she never had a chance to make me anything before she passed so I love what you and your friends do I know it will be appreciated over time by those who receive them.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Joy! There was a slight variation in the size of the squares depending on the yarn, but the pin loom itself limits how much variation there can be. I have the 4x4 square loom shown in the pic here--it's the one that's sort of standing up:
https://www.mielkesfiberarts.com/product/blue-butterfly-pin-looms/

I also have a triangle pin loom and a heart pin loom, but those are made by another person. The triangle has the pins really close together, so I use sock/fingering weight on that.

I have a book that has different kinds of warp and weave designs. I have to adapt them a bit because her examples are made on a loom with more pins than mine, but that's cool! This was a good project which allowed me to get really familiar with my loom and how different yarns weave up and stuff like that. :-)

Joy said...

Yes it looks pretty good in that regard, probably much better than I could do lol. Would you say that the squares are thicker/warmer doing it on the loom? Would you guestimate that the total size in the end was more of a lapghan / couch size or? Thank you for the link, I appreciate that. (I hope this makes your stitching tab so I can come back to it after the move!) I'm still grieving the day I didn't buy the gorgeous little lap-loom I found in Scandinavia. I had been using a full (room) -size one to make table runners and things (talk about hard physical work holy cow) but I imagine that would also be a fun way of 'making pieces of projects' just like this project and the amigurumi one that is still in the works.

How are you enjoying the turn of season by now? We just got done with a few 90+ degree days that made me pretty sick (as usual), I'll be grateful to see the back of those for a few months (hopefully).

Shari Burke said...

It depends on the yarn used for the squares, but they're not as thick as crochet. one thing I like about the loom is that it uses very little yarn to make each square, even with my crocheted border, so a small scrap ball goes a long way.

Sorry to learn you weren't feeling well. Hope the heat stays away and you feel better!