Saturday, November 27, 2021

Beautiful Music

 I am not a Christian and we don't really celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday. For me, this time of year is a celebration of winter and nature, which we mark on the winter cultural holiday. Since that is Christmas in the places we've lived, that's the day we celebrate. That said, I do enjoy much about the festive season. I love the fairy lights shining in the dark. I love the cute decorations. Most of all, I love some of the music, which can be beautiful. I thought I would share some of my favourites over the next few days.


4 comments:

Linda said...

The music is fantastic.

Aren't Quakers considered christian?

Shari Burke said...

Isn't it lovely?

I think in general Quakers are considered Christian and most would self-identify as such. But there are some who don't. They find much in the Quaker path enriching, but not the Christian parts. At the Quaker church we attended there were many of us in that category. The whole situation was complicated by the fact that it was a very right wing town and there were not many options. There were Unitarian Universalists, but they were dysfunctional and disorganized, so many ended up at the Quakers, which was not at all like the image people have. There's an evangelical branch and this was part of that, although they were not right wing and nasty. Some preferred to identify as Christ followers to distinguish from the ugly side of Christianity. They ended up being kicked out of the larger group for being too inclusive. One in PDX went before them. West Hills, I think it was. As for myself, secular Buddhism in a very basic form is what makes sense to me. There are similarities with Quakerism and some Quaker meetings have Buddhist groups within them. 🙂

Linda said...

Thank you for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense.

Shari Burke said...

:-)