Friday, November 26, 2021

Howling, Roaring, Whistling, Rattling

 I never thought that much about wind until we got to Dungloe. I noticed when it was windy. We had a couple of trees blow down in Fairbanks. We've experienced the tail end of hurricanes on the US east coast. but Dungloe was the first time I experienced such sustained wind noise and was actually blown off balance when out walking. There were times we avoided walking to the end of the pier because of the wind. Through most of the year there was some wind, although it disappeared in summer when I really needed it! When we first moved in, it took us a while to get used to the constant howling and rattling that went on for weeks. Since we've been here, we've moved up a level with regard to wind. There were times when there was little to no wind or it was blowing in the wrong direction to provide a breeze through the windows that open outward from the side. Mostly though, there is wind and it is often loud. Today and into tomorrow morning we are going to have a visit from Storm Arwen. Even before Arwen arrives, we've already had over a day of strong wind. It roars, howls, and whistles. We've had a few hail showers and watched the hail blow horizontally down the street. We could get sleet and snow showers later. There might be some snow on the surrounding hills later this weekend. After an unseasonably warm autumn, perhaps we will get just a taste of what passes for winter here.

As I listen to the noise of the wind, I sometimes think about how it would sound of one was in a hurricane. It must be an awesome and sometimes terrifying feeling to listen to what must be incredibly loud and intense noise while trying to stay out of harm's way.

While the wind howled, roared, and whistled, I put up my few Christmas decorations, almost all of which are small bits I have made from scraps since we got to Ireland, since I left the Christmas stuff behind when we came here. I have a few things that people have gifted to me as well. I enjoy taking these things out each year and hanging them around. They do bring a smile to my face. I am particularly partial to these two that I made from sea glass collected on a shingle beach in Moville.
needle felted wool with crocheted borders and french knots (R), embellished with sea glass

One thing about living in so many different places is that almost every year, things are being placed somewhere new. Last year these were in a living room window. This year I hung them on knobs of the kitchen cupboards.

I hope that whatever you're doing today, you have a pleasant and peaceful time.


2 comments:

Vicki said...

Love your cute little decorations! Your post title is very accurate! Hurricanes are very scary! I've been in many of them since I moved to Florida in '85. And I've seen the rain blow sideways many times, even during tornados.

I hope the weather doesn't get too bad and that you have a great weekend!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki :-)

Even the wind we've had since we moved to this part of the island can be disconcerting, especially when it's a new place. I'd wake up in the night and wonder what the noise was! But to be waiting through a hurricane is a whole other level!

They're gritting all the main roads tonight because the temperature is supposed to drop. Hopefully there will be no accidents. We're staying in.

You have a great weekend, too!