Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Wednesday Words of Wisdom: Climbing Out of the Pit of Despair

 Pema Chodron again, like last week. I so value her teaching. When I was at a very low point, living in Sucktown and seriously depressed, hoping every night that I would not wake up in the morning and being angry and upset when I did, it was her teaching that started to help me out of it. I was working at the local library at the time and I would check out audiobook CDs by her. As I lay in bed crying, I would listen and she provided me with things to think about without getting up and while still crying. Eventually, I stopped crying and I got up. I was healing. I climbed out of the pit of despair. I continue to be grateful for the access I have to her and other Buddhist teaching/psychology. I hope I never feel like that again. I find secular Buddhist thought/teaching to be very commonsensical. This quote makes perfect sense and as so often happens, I read it and think, 'Exactly!' Sometimes, though, I need a reminder.

'Let your curiosity be greater than your fear.'

And here's one from a different direction:
'When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it—don't back down and don't give up—then you're going to mystify a lot of folks.'

—Bob Dylan

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I've never heard of Pema Chodron that I know of. I'll check her out. Glad she brought you back from depression!

Shari Burke said...

She was originally from the US, but trained in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. She's very practical and down-to-earth.

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased to read that reading Pema Chodron helped you ...

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

I am sorry you suffer depression, and so strong. Just pleased never fall for medication. Blogger Ella stopped blogging in March after she got the same stupid meds I got. All they do is make you tired, but the mind still races. I got one last e-mail and never heard anything ever since.
Good you have those authors and teaching - best wishes from here, and a virtual hug.
Depression is huge...

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan! I was and am grateful. :-)

Thanks, Iris! I won't ever go for meds to deal with depression. I am not making a value judgement with respect to others, but I know myself pretty well and I don't think it would be a good idea for me. I have read other people's experiences of them working well, so they must do for some people. I've never known anyone personally who has had a good experience though.

The time I posted about was 14 years ago and while I have had bouts of depression since, it's not been that bad. I think that I have better tools with which to deal with these episodes when they arise now--at least so far, although I know that can change. Anxiety is harder, but I'm working on it :-)

Iris Flavia said...

My doc stated half of Germany takes that medication. I do not believe her. And you are right, anxiety is worse. My hands start trembling then, not funny in a job interview (haha, these days thankfully only via phone, if at all!).

Shari Burke said...

I was trained early in my childhood to be anxious and not let it show, so I'm pretty good about presenting a calm exterior. I can put on what I call my plastic face anytime I need to and no one knows what I'm really thinking/feeling behind the fake smile unless I choose to communicate it. It's exhausting though.