Thursday, September 2, 2021

We Gotta Get Out of This Place: Dick2 Reappears

 There I was, sitting in the B&B after a long hot day wandering around what would be my new village/townland. I had discovered that there were messages from Dick2, the guy who wanted us to sign a dodgy lease over a week before. I’d emailed him with questions and concerns about this document, telling him that when we had answers, we could think about how to proceed. He had not responded until this day. 

I called him and he started out being calm and polite, asking me about the lease. I told him I’d sent him an email that he’d not responded to. He interrupted—a pattern that was to continue throughout the conversation. ‘I never got an email!’ I calmly reiterated that I’d sent an email on the same day we got the lease. His agitation level notched up a bit and his voice got louder. ‘I never got an email from you!’ ‘No?’ I replied, ‘Well, it’s in my sent mail folder, so I can forward it to you if you’d like.’ We were not going to talk about the email any more after that.  Had my brain not been fried from the nasty sun and heat, I might have thought to say that Bill also got the CC so it was not believable that he did not receive it. We both think that what happened was that he saw it and figured he’d ignore it and we’d cave and sign it.

Anyway, on the conversation went, with me calmly speaking and him interrupting, getting more and more agitated, twisting my words, ignoring what he didn’t want to talk about, and becoming increasingly hostile. In short order, he was yelling at me. ‘I took it off the market for you! I could have rented it to someone else! Other people wanted to look at it!’ ‘Good,’ I replied, ‘Then you should call them.’ That pissed him off more. He did not want to discuss the issues we had with the lease, even though he asked me about them. When I mentioned a couple things off the top of my head, he ignored them and yelled about something else. I was so tired, but my brain was running through all kinds of thoughts about how bizarre this was, how lucky we were to have decided against dealing with this guy, and wondering how long this nonsense was going to go on. But things got even more weird and I started to wonder whether I was actually in a junior high lunch room. 

He repeatedly yelled at me, ‘You dropped me! You just dropped me!’ ‘How does one respond to this, I wonder?’ I was thinking to myself. In the end, I didn’t bother, because he just kept yelling over me, repeating that we’d dropped him. I almost felt sorry for him at that point, because it was all so pathetic. Finally he got tired of his tantrum, I guess, because he shouted that he never wanted to have anything to do with us again, hanging up on me before I could say that finally here was something we could agree on!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Can you imagine that as a landlord? He showed his true colors a little soon.

Shari Burke said...

He sure did! I am so glad we avoided that mess!

Vicki said...

Wow, you sure did dodge a bullet that time! Just crazy!

Shari Burke said...

Isn't it nuts? I feel sorry for anyone who falls for this guy's scam!

Iris Flavia said...

Reckon you ended up in his spam-folder? Instead of screaming he should´ve checked!

Shari Burke said...

Maybe it went to spam, but for the sake of his business, he ought to get into the habit of checking. Then again, he has apparently had something like 6 different businesses in the last decade and a half or so, so they don't seem to last very long!