Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Maybe This Means We've Really Arrived :-)

 My computer had been having issues these past few weeks and nothing seemed to make them go away, so I reluctantly admitted that it was on its way out. It wasn't a surprise. There had been indications that it was struggling for a few months before and I think almost never using it for the month we were moving and only had brief access to wifi prolonged its life a little bit. We always buy refurbished computers, mp3 players, etc, for environmental reasons, so it wasn't expensive and I got years of use from it. Still it was somewhat annoying to not be able to do certain things that just don't work well on the tablet. I didn't have to deal with the issue for long, though, because Bill found a refurbished computer in Ireland that meets my minimal computer needs. Since Brexit we are much more careful about avoiding UK sellers--too much hassle and various fees. Anyway, since it was coming from Ireland, we figured there was a good chance it would get here on Monday. We were heading out when we saw the postman drive up a lane across the street, so we waited to see if he would come here next. There is a mail slot in the main door, which locks automatically when it closes, so if there is a parcel and no one happens to see or hear him, he drops a card through the slot and we have to go pick up the item at the post office in the next village a mile and a quarter down the road. There used to be one in a wee shop in our little village, but it closed. 

On this day, the postman came down the lane and swung around next to us. He asked if it was Bill and said he had a parcel. It was my computer. Bill brought it into the apartment and we headed off. As we were walking, I said to Bill, 'Now he knows who we are, so it won't be long before he sees us walking around between villages and stops to give us a parcel.' Indeed it did not take long! Today we walked to the library and then the grocery store. We were on our way home when I suddenly saw a van heading towards us. Then I saw the an Post logo. He pulled up and handed Bill the book I'd asked him to order for me. I guess it was just a tad too thick to go through the slot. He said he'd left a card for us to pick it up, but we could just rip it up. We rarely buy stuff online but when we do it is almost always a book or books, so there may be more opportunities to have them delivered while out and about. Now that we're known by the postman, maybe it means we've really arrived in the village.😀

This is the book I got and I am excited to own it. It's one I plan to keep.


8 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

See. I totally forgot about Brexit! First it was in the news like crazy and then... nothing anymore. Thanks for the reminder.
Annoying as it is - better pick your parcel from a safe place.

But, hey, you do have a great postie there!!! Cute.

And sounds like a great read, too.

Shari Burke said...

An Post is great! We once got a card sent to us and it was addressed 'to that American couple in Moville.' It got to us without a problem. In another place, when it was warm and we had the door open, the postman would walk in and hand us the mail :-)

I wish we could forget about Brexit! Unfortunately, we share a border with the UK in the form of Northern Ireland. The unionists there are continuing to whine about the consequences of the Brexit they helped engineer. They wave a lot of threats around then shut up for a while, but when no one pays attention to them they get testy again after a while and pop up with more useless threats. They don't like it that they are set apart from 'the mainland' UK. It doesn't seem like people on 'the mainland' really give a crap about them, if they even know they exist, but BoJo is willing to foment discord and possibly violence, so he uses them for that.

Vicki said...

Don't you love living in a place like that? Yesterday I had a book delivered that wouldn't fit in the mailbox so the mailman hand delivered it to me. Where I used to live they would just leave a note and I'd have to drive to the next town to pick it up.

The book sounds interesting, I've never heard of it before.

Shari Burke said...

It's great living in a place like this!

I've heard people talking about the book and it sounded like one worth having. I hope my impression is right!

Joy said...

Oh that's fun! Could he take your heavier groceries and deliver them to you too since you'd probably get home first? hehe.

Shari Burke said...

LOL--we've had offers of rides from random people since we've been here :-)

Joy said...

Aww, that's so sweet! Do you think you could take them up on it or did it feel odd?

Shari Burke said...

We were OK, so we haven't taken the rides, but I probably would if I felt like I needed to for physical reasons, like if I hurt myself or something. But we like walking and we're used to carrying our packs, so we know to not make them too heavy. :-)