Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Unexpected Kindnesses and No Time to Overthink!

 Last evening we were in the new place and I got a text from a dear friend asking me to call him. I did. He said he was going out of town shortly, but had today free, so planned to spend it with us, if we wanted, and we could make a couple of trips back and forth with heavy things (books!) and bulky things. He asked what time we'd get back into Dungloe and when we got off the bus this morning, he was there waiting. We came upstairs, had a cuppa and sandwiches and I was whipping through the apt trying to get stuff into shopping bags, backpacks, etc (books) or bin bags (shawls, ponchos, sweaters, socks, hats, etc). We were grabbing stuff and packing it how we could, getting it downstairs into his car. He'd taken out the two back seats, so there was extra space. And he'd brought a big tub so we could put plants in it--we thought we might have to leave those behind, so that was cool. Then he and I took off for the new place while Bill stayed behind to pack up more stuff. When we got to the flat, our friend brought most of the stuff upstairs and I was emptying bags and placing the bin bags of clothes in the wardrobe. We sat for a few minutes, got back in the car and came back to Dungloe--a journey of 11 miles.

Back upstairs, then up and down loading the car again. Another trip to Bunbeg ensued. By the time we got there it was lashing down rain, but the cafe under our flat was still open for another half hour. Our friend is a big fan of cafes, so we called in and had tea/coffee, and treats. He had a couple of scones and got a Cornish pasty to go and I got a caramel slice--my favourite! It's a shortbread crust topped with a layer of caramel and a layer of chocolate on top! YUM! 

By then the rain had stopped so we unloaded the car again and got everything upstairs. I put most things in the general vicinity of where they were going, but things still have to be put away properly. I am tired, but at some point during the day, I realized that it was probably good that things turned out this way. Had I known ahead of time that he was coming, I would have been awake in bed most of the night mentally planning how to pack, what should be given priority, do I need to go through everything and see if there is something I don't want, what's the best way to fit things in the receptacles that we have and on and on. There was no time for that. We didn't know this was going to happen until last night and we began as soon as we got back, leaving me no opportunity to overthink things. And it was better that way! We are so grateful for his kindness. It saved us a great deal of effort.

Our day started off with another act of kindness in Bunbeg. When we left the flat, it was mizzling. As we stood waiting for the bus, it rained harder and harder. The medical centre is across the street from where the bus picks us up and a guy came out the door and called to us that we should go stand there in the doorway. I called back that the bus would be coming any minute. I was thinking that if we stood over there, the driver wouldn't see us flagging him down. Suddenly, the guy disappeared for a few seconds and came jogging over with a large umbrella. He told us to just leave it in the chemist next door when the bus came. So when the bus pulled up, Bill told the driver he had to run across the street and leave the umbrella. The driver said, 'Ah sure, you're grand.' He sat there waiting for Bill to return and off we went. 

We've had so many happy surprises in less than a week! So grateful for each and every one!

17 comments:

bobbie said...

There are angels all around us!

Shari Burke said...

Indeed so! And the world is a better place because of it! :-)

Vicki said...

It seems that people are more friendly and caring in Ireland than they are in the U.S. Most people here are too busy or don't care to help someone out. I was raised that if someone needed something and you could help, do it. And I do.

It was very nice of your friend to help you! Moving is hard enough, especially if you're moving by bus. I hope you get settled in soon.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki! It was such a help! The bus that goes between here and there is a small one with no room for much luggage, so it would have taken many more trips bringing a bit each time without his help! We don't have furniture to move, so that helps!

Brenda said...

So glad you had help.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, such a happy post! What a great friend! And glad he called just like that and you had a good night´s sleep. I hate that, too lying awake and planning ahead.
To great friends! And plants :-)

Joy said...

I'm looking forward to hearing about your new set-up and kitchen and all of that. It's so fun to hear about how you use the spaces as you move around. I also hope your windows and things don't 'face the heat/sun', but do have a good view, access to water areas etc. It seems like the people are pretty great. How did you stumble on the town? Is it sort of the local 'health centre' town?

I hope this move wont mean that you can't see your dear friend much anymore, he seems like a real keeper. I'm so glad you got to make those trips, I wish my move would be that expeditious! My new place just black topped and of course I'm allergic so, set-back after set-back. I know you mentioned that things had slowed down with finding new places etc but it sounds like it's maybe getting better?

I hope the setting-up-house process goes well!!

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari,
I've already read it on Bill's blog and wished you both luck, now I'll do it here too: All the best for the move! Fortunately, you already have experience in moving ;-) And as I can see, you have very friendly support - I am happy about that and am happy for you!
Hugs, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/07/kom-mit-ins-mohn-dorf-teil-1.html
PS: You wrote about the hydrangeas that they bloom in the most beautiful colors in Ireland. And I wanted to answer you that I've already seen them in purple, but never in deep red. But just a few days before I saw some in deep red - really a very fascinating sight!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you everyone!

Joy said...

I hope all the moving things are mostly done or figured-out. I guess it's only just early Tuesday morning ... I remember how interesting it was how you got the wifi last time and that it can 'take a min' ...

I'm still thinking how cool it was that your friend was able to help you with the complicated or heavy stuff like the plants. That's so great. Also not getting to 'over think' anything in the process just sort of kicks the brain into high practical gear when it might normally take a more meandering path. Things like moving are actually a creative process. For those of us with an artsy bent we like to consider things and figure things out and I totally get the 'over thinking' of it in my own move. Covid has really made things complex here in getting safe help for the bigger items (even when they're not that big), so all the more reason it's so great that you had a friend just rise to the occasion.

Veronica Lee said...

How kind of your friend to help you. I can imagine how tough it must be moving by bus.

Happy Wednesday, Shari.

Shari Burke said...

A very happy day to you as well, Veronica! It's a small bus that goes back and forth between villages, so no place for luggage. We bring a little at a time. We don't have any furniture or anything, because places come furnished, which is cool. But we have books which are heavy and yarn and the results of my work with yarn which are bulky, so it was nice to get a chunk done last week :-)

I know, Joy--it was a very happy surprise! We are eliminating a lot of stuff. We made two trips with big loads to the charity shop today, once pulling a suitcase full of clothes and a 'granny trolley full of books. Then another trip with the trolley full of books again and more in bags--LOL--they stacked up whilst we were in lockdown. I'm relieved they took them all!

Joy said...

Wow books are so often the hardest to part with!

I think I'll be sorting through mine soon as well. I didn't wind up having that many now that I've gone mostly digital but it's still down to the ones I really feel I'll carry-on enjoying over time and things like that. Does the new town also have a nice library, charity and discounted shops for you to call-in at, trade items with, and the like? Will you have to bus-back to the old one for anything?

It's nice to hear an update, it really sounded as tho you had so much (of the heavy work) done already. Moving by bus can't be so simple even tho it's so nearby. I can remember lugging my child-sized satchel on the Seattle Bus System seeming like a difficulty on the odd occasion lol.

Shari Burke said...

It was last minute, so I wasn't as organized as I usually am!

Joy said...

Yes of course, things can be so sudden like that. I got a call one day myself some months ago, just weird issues keep putting a wrench in things. I WISH I could have moved that way lol. I hope it's been fun setting-up house and is going well! =)

Linda said...

Hope the rest of your move has gone well. Thank goodness for the kindness of our friends and family. The best to you and Bill.

Shari Burke said...

It's done and we're dealing with the last issues involved with changing addresses! Grateful for our friends! I hope you're settling into your new home as well!