Saturday, July 24, 2021

A Short Excursion in Which I Did Not Melt (But it Was Close!)

 The other day, we hopped on the bus at 7:30 (ish) in the morning and rode out into an even more rural area than the one in which we live. We got off at Bunbeg.
You see the buildings in the distance--that's most of the village right there.
We had an appointment at 9:30, but we got there at about 8, so we walked down the lane to the beach. It was already way too hot and the sun was beating down. I had prepared myself for an uncomfortable and difficult day because of the heat and sun, so I was trying to maintain a calm attitude. It was to get to around 30C later in the day and all day long people were commenting on how hot it was. Later in the day, people were also expressing some concern for our welfare, because it was clear that we were dragging. One thing that struck us on our short visit was how kind everyone was in various ways. Irish people are pretty friendly in our experience, but this was a whole other level.

We had our appointment, which went well. Then we had several hours until we could head to the B&B for the night. We decided to walk to the grocery store in the next village. Did I mention that it was hot? We'd brought our water bottles, but they were empty. The few takeaways along the road were not open yet, so we couldn't buy anything to drink. When we got to the grocery store, we found the coffee/tea kiosk, but no chilled beverages. We bought a pot of yogurt and a couple bananas and sat outside at a picnic table to eat. We started walking back. It was slow going. I felt woozy for a while and the expected headache and upset stomach began--sun, heat and I do not play well together. I did enjoy the fields of fireweed and these flowers, which were everywhere (I don't know what they are). 
A guy in a van pulled up and offered us a ride, saying we looked tired. We thanked him and said we were OK. We were indeed tired--we'd hardly slept the night before, partly because the appointment was unexpected and only determined the evening before. We are very used to walking everywhere and the walk was not far, but the heat and unrelenting sun really did us both in. We can't handle it anymore. 

Happily, we discovered that a takeaway was open, so I dashed in and, despite my policy of not buying beverages in plastic bottles, I purchased two bottles of diet Coke, which was the best option available. Oh how wonderful that hit of cold carbonation felt as it ran down my throat. I stopped feeling woozy. 

There is a sidewalk all the way along the road to the next village, with benches at regular intervals, so we would walk along and then sit for a while, appreciating the small breezes that would sometimes come from the ocean and waft over us. Then we'd walk on. At one stop, I ate a piece of warm cheese--quite gooey, but it settled my stomach instantly. It always does. 

We got back into town and still had a bit of time to kill. We knew the B&B was at the harbour, which was not where the beach is. The directions were good, but I realized later I'd been thrown off a bit by where the bus stopped. It was supposed to stop at Bunbeg Crossorads and the directions to the B&B were to walk down the road towards the harbour from there. But when we got off the bus, it was in the village. I looked in vain for any crossroad and when we set off, it was in the opposite direction. It's a tiny place, so we figured we just had to walk back through the village to get to the crossroads and then walk a way down the road and there we'd be. But we had not counted on how we felt in the heat. Every few steps felt like a mile. We got to the crossroads and happily turned onto the road, expecting to see water any minute now. We walked and walked and there was plenty of greenery and flowers, but no sign of water. Bill asked someone if we were on the right road. She said we were and our destination was about 10 minutes away. Bill said, 'I can't go on.' I said that was how I felt, but we couldn't just stand there on a road in the middle of nowhere baking in that nasty sun! We dragged ourselves on. And on. And on. There was a woman tending to her front garden. I asked her if we were far from the harbour. She looked at me with concern and said, 'It's just around that curve. Just go around there and you'll see it. You're almost there.' Spirits buoyed, I took another step.

To be continued tomorrow...



6 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness…hope you are ok.

Shari Burke said...

We are! Thank you for asking! Just uncomfortable because it's hot.

Vicki said...

Sounds like a hard day. I know that the older I get the less I can take the heat and humidity. The humidity in Florida is ridiculous. The people in Ireland sound like the nicest people!

Shari Burke said...

It was rough, that's for sure! I know what you mean--I have less and less tolerance for heat as time goes on. And the humidity! When we moved to Maine from a dry area, we were totally unprepared for the level of humidity. We'd been away from it for so long, we'd forgotten what it felt like!

We have met some great people in Ireland. There are jerks, but as a whole, there is a lot of friendliness, kindness, and consideration. :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I´m sorry you suffer under the heat, glad to see you back here, though - your Hubby sent me a pic, boy, 41C. He called it "hell" - LOL I´d love it - 27C max today. Just warm enough for a t-shirt for me.

Nice to learn you met so many nice people :-)
You could live here, too, Braunschweig people do everything on foot, too.
And big yum for warm cheese, I had that yesterday, from the bbq and have another for today :-)

Oh. Your "adventure" so reminds me of how often we got lost in Australia! Oh, boy. I think I´ll skip that village where you´ve been, I´m warned now.

And I look forward to the rest of the story!!! Sorry, but you have me in sweet memories.
Once I was in tears and Ingo jokingly asked if a want a helicopter as it was an 8-hour walk to our tent (we´ve been out and about 2 hours already!). Whilst Ingo cooked then at the tent, I just fell asleep. No dinner for me ;-)
And yes, despite that it is sweet memories. (I will never return to the Flinders Ranges, though!)

Shari Burke said...

It's funny how things that seem tough at the time can turn into sweet memories :-)

The sun was shining right on the sign, so not sure what the ambient temp actually was, but it did feel like an oven! Your T-shirt weather was the same as what was leading people in the village to be concerned for our well-being--LOL Back in the teens after today and maybe even rain later in the week! Woo hoo!