Thursday, July 1, 2021

June Books: Nonfiction

 Another month comes to an end. As usual, the month contained a bunch of excellent reading. I read some wonderful nonfiction, all of which was fascinating. 

Harvest: The Hidden Histories of Seven Natural Objects by Edward Posnett

Excellent and thought-provoking book.

How to Be Animal: A New History of What it Means to Be Human by Melanie Challenger
The author argues that people have forgotten that we're animals and subject to the same sorts of biological issues and responses as other animals. She looks at the repercussions of this from various angles and draws on research from anthropology, archaeology, psychology and psychiatry. At one point she looks into research on how people predictably react when they sense a threat--becoming more conservative and retreating further into their group. She comments that those in power know what the responses will be and exploit that. No arguing with that! She talked about how we have speciated culture, which I find interesting. Now that we are the only human species, instead of interacting with human species different from ourselves, we are one species, but we differentiate and separate on cultural terms. She does not mention the fact that race, while a social and cultural construct and reality, has no basis in biology. It’s something humans have made up, not something that is real in a physical sense--something that I think is important to her thesis. It was a great book. She makes some important arguments in the book. 

New month, new reading! Yay!

5 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

First off!!! Nomadland was in the news!!!! No kidding! It´s in the cinemas - that opened again! (I hate cinemas so I stick to your book!)
Second.. yes. It sounds like another great book you have there (let me finish this one ;-)...)

How crazy is this?! You send me a book and it pops out in the TV-news!!
If on next I´ll have my cam ready!
Your weather - too cold for me to sit on the balcony to read. Stay inside - after getting groceries for Ingo.

Shari Burke said...

See, you were meant to have the book now :-) Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I had an amusing chat with someone at the info centre this morning. It's just outside the library, where I went to return a couple books. She commented that it was not a bad day (always weather commentary--always). I agreed and said there was a nice breeze, whereupon she lamented the lack of sun. I rather sheepishly told her (because Irish people do not get this at all and think I'm bonkers) that it was OK to not have sun because, to be honest, I don't like the sun. 'Do ye not?' she asked, incredulously :-) In any case, she's happy now, I suppose, because the sun is out. And the breeze has picked up, so I'm happy, too. And the forecast high for tomorrow is 12! I can put on long pants! ;-)

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, the book was just meant to be, I enjoy it immensly (I´m a slow reader).

LOL. I once had a customer on the phone. An Italian living in Ireland. Boy, it sure was difficult to understand that mix!!

Only 15C, grey, but sadly no rain. I want 40C, sun ;-) 35 would be OK, too. But 15?!
No rain???

Yay for you in 12C, though!

Shari Burke said...

Sadly, the breeze has a tendency to hibernate in summer, just when we need it most! It gets stuffy. That's my whine done ;-)

Iris Flavia said...

At least you manage a ;-)
- that is good!