Friday, July 2, 2021

June Books: Nonfiction 2

 The other two nonfiction books I read last month are quite different from the first two, and also excellent.

The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn
This book is a follow-up to the book The Salt Path, in which the author and her husband lose their house because a friend ripped them off. A week later, the husband is diagnosed with a terminal brain illness. As they are being evicted from their home, they suddenly decide that, since they've nowhere else to go, they might as well walk the 630-mile South West Coast Trail (UK). That was an incredible book, which I highly recommend. When I recently discovered that she'd written this book, describing what happened next, I wasted no time in clicking over to the library and requesting a copy. It got here within a week. I read it, then Bill read it. Like the one that came before, this is also a fabulous book. You can read this one without reading the previous one, but they're both so good, why not read both?

The Saffron Road: A Journey with Buddha’s Daughters by Christine Toomey
I came across this book when looking for something else on the library website. It's a wonderful book, but some of the brutality described by the author both in terms of what she witnessed as a journalist and what some of the Buddhist women told her about was difficult to read.

Here's to another month of great reading!

3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Always interesting to read your book posts.
I almost always see one that I think, must add it to my reading list.

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

The first one I´ll ask my kind kindle to get it for me. Sounds tough, but interesting. What better way to spend the last time together.
I was with both my parents on their last weeks and it was in hospitals. Sad.

Shari Burke said...

So many books, not enough time, right Jan? :-)

The book posted above was excellent, Iris, and so was the previous one, The Salt Path. I'd recommend both. And they're both quite uplifting.

It is sad when people have a difficult and painful end-of-life experience. The last time I saw my Nana, she was at home with a carer, but one day, she was forced to go to the bed in the living room with the bars on the side. She wasn't falling asleep. She looked at me and said, 'I'm in prison.' Heartbreaking.