Sunday, July 25, 2021

Not Melting Continued

 After the nice lady in her garden told us the harbour was right around the curve, we plodded on. If I had any energy left I would have jumped for joy when I rounded the curve and saw the horrible sun sparkling on the water! And there was our B&B! We were still early--it was a last minute booking and she had an appointment of her own that afternoon, so check-in time was a bit later than usual. I walked up to the steps leading to the front door, which was open. I leaned on a post. There was someone inside. 'Hello,' I gasped, 'We have a booking for tonight. We know we can't check in yet, but can we please sit on your bench?' 'Oh no,' the nice woman replied, 'It's OK, I got done earlier than I thought! Come in and sit in here where it's cooler. Did you park around the corner?' I told her we didn't have a car and we'd been walking round the area since 8 in the morning. She was taken aback, sat us down on the couch, brought us water and cans of sparkling lemonade and told us to rest there as long as we wanted and she'd take us to our room when we were ready. The room we'd booked was on the second floor (this would be the third floor in the US), but she had one free on the first floor (US second floor), if we'd prefer that. We took that one. It was a wonderful room with a lovely view. And oh so comfortable!
We asked Ann if she had any phone information about eateries that deliver, because we'd planned to walk back into the village for supper, but would rather not at that point. She was so kind and gave us some possibilities. We opted for a pizza, since we didn't have menus or anything and don't have smartphones to see if any places had websites or menus online. She offered to call the pizza place and order when we were ready. We showered and changed and after a while went back downstairs. She called and had quite a time describing the location, so I was grateful to her for offering to talk to them. We sat out on the porch and enjoyed the beautiful and peaceful surroundings. The pizza came. I'd asked her if we could eat in the dining room, because I didn't want to risk getting grease or something in the room. She set the table for us and everything--we would have just eaten it out of the box so she wouldn't have any clean-up, but she insisted. 

After supper, we took a brief walk round the area.

I liked all the lines from the rope and reflections
We went upstairs and plopped onto the bed, sometimes watching the people swimming in the harbour. The day was at an end. I was happy that I'd managed to stop the nausea and headache that usually accompanies any time spent in heat and sun. And so we rested.


4 comments:

Vicki said...

Sorry you had to walk for so many hours in that heat! Glad you got to eat and rest once you got to your room. That view from the window is beautiful and I love all the photos!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki!

Our fault for deciding to walk in that heat. We could have plunked ourselves down on a bench instead of walking. But it turned out well anyway! :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful window-shot, and my, you were lucky with such a friendly lady! And Pizza!!
Beautiful rust and the reflection shots are clever.
Glad it was not a horror-story as I feared!

Shari Burke said...

It ended well!