Saturday, June 15, 2019

Gorgeous Button: A Small Piece of Art All By Itself

My friend sent me this gorgeous glass button.
I love it--it takes my breath away! I considered putting it on a garment, but if I did that, it would live in the wardrobe most of the time and I wouldn't be able to see it. I decided to make something that I could wear when I wanted to and hang on the wall to enjoy the rest of the time. It took a while, mainly because of the thread. I wasn't finding the right colours of crochet thread and perle cotton isn't much of a thing here. I decided on embroidery floss, but that is also not found in abundance here and there is not the wide array of colours and shades that I used to see in craft shops in the US. The only craft shop near here is in Donegal Town and while it's a great wee shop which has a little bit of everything, it's just that--a small selection. But I found some floss at an Irish yarn shop online that matched two of the colours in the button and made a simple kongo gumi braid with that, using my kumihimo disk. I needle-felted an oval shape, quilted the felt with the same floss, snipped a hole in the centre and stuck the shank of the button through, sewing it on securely. Then I finished off by sewing the braid to the felt and button.
 I've been wearing it today and I have to say, it makes me very happy just to look at it. I hope there is something making you happy today, too. 😀

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I love it Shari . . .
I like it being out where you can see it . . .
Nice Art Piece.

Great Grand Oakland, 5 years old, made me a bracelet for my birthday.
I love wearing it and I enjoy people asking about it!

Vicki said...

I love it, it's very beautiful!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you! :-)