Thursday, June 9, 2022

Abscraption

 One of my favourite things to do when stitching is to use scraps to create something new. I'm also a big fan of abstract work, which I do not tire of looking at, always noticing a shape or texture I might not have noticed before. This afternoon, I finished a small piece I'd had going for a while, picking it up whenever I felt like making a few stitches. I had no plan other than limiting my colour palette to scraps of purple in two slightly different shades, blue-ish teal, and the thread with a gold sparkly wrap. The purples are perle cotton and crochet cotton, the teal is standard embroidery floss with a matte finish, and the gold is meant more for knitting or crochet, I think. I use whatever works. It was stitched on a scrap of white aida cloth, 16 count. I love removing a few threads on the edges to make the fringe, so that's what I did here.
Near the end, I noticed it had a house shape, so while it's part of my ongoing occasional series I call 'abscraption,' I also think of it as 'crazy house.' As I was making it, I enjoyed both the stitching itself and watching the shapes appear. I turned it into a bookmark and continue to enjoy it every time I open the book that it's in.



11 comments:

bobbie said...

I think it is lovely!!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you! It's a fun and relaxing way to play with shape and colour!

Brenda said...

Love it

Vicki said...

It's very pretty! Wish I was crafty. My mom could do it all and said it was very calming.

Shari Burke said...

Thank you!

I agree with your mom, Vicki! :-)

Rostrose said...

WOW, dear Shari, that looks great, a wonderful play of colors. And yes, the first thing I thought of was a house! :-)
All the best and happy Sunday!
Hugs, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/06/italien-reisebericht-grado-und-aquileia.html

Shari Burke said...

Danke schön, Traude!

Joy said...

Oh I love the fringe effect, nice!

I also 'see a house' and think it all goes so nicely together.

Abscraption is a perfect name for how you bring various bits and bobs together to create something that 'wants to be made'!

Shari Burke said...

I almost always do the fringe thing with little cross stitch pieces :-) It's funny--I really hate pom poms, but quite like fringe and tassels. Weird.

Joy said...

Oh I'm the same, pom poms are like ahhhh but fringe and tassels are nice.
I think your 'house' looks like a multi-level with maybe a nice terrace or something. =)

Shari Burke said...

It's fun to see what the result of random stitching ends up being!