Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Restocking in the Nick of Time!

 We went grocery shopping today. The Aldi in Dungloe was remodelled a couple weeks ago, so I was wandering around getting familiar with where things are now. It appears to be the same layout as the Donegal town Aldi after they redid that one. I make my shopping list in the order in which things appear in the store, which saves time. But everything was willy-nilly this time. Still, we got what we wanted and more. Bill spotted the jalapenos. 
We knew it was time to start looking for them, since they appear in the summer and then after that, they put out whatever jars they have left and don't get more for months. I love these and use them a lot, so last year I would always buy 2 or 3 jars each time I was there and they had them. I used them and put the extra in the cupboard--at one time I had 10 jars in there. By then, they weren't available anymore, so I was happy enough to have a supply. We are seeing more Mexican food appear in the shops now, but it's still not a lot. Better than when we got here 8 years ago, though! Still, I can't buy fresh jalapenos and besides these, jars of Old El Paso are the only option. I've bought them in a pinch, but they are not as good (they're quite bland) and cost twice as much. Aldi's are far superior so I'm thrilled to see them back! I opened my last jar on Friday (the pizza just isn't the same without a bunch of pickled jalapeno slices 😋). I bought three more. Time to start restocking!

It's the little things. 😁

15 comments:

Linda said...

Now I want to give them a try.

Shari Burke said...

I put them on pizza, sandwiches, wraps, in omelettes, hummus, cheese spread--so many things are better with jalapenos! :-D

Brenda said...

I can tolerate banana peppers but not the hot ones…enjoy

Shari Burke said...

I have to be careful with some foods myself. Tomatoes, for example. But for some reason, these don't cause problems for me. Weirdly enough, they even tend to settle my stomach if it's feeling funky! Go figure! 🤔

My name is Erika. said...

It's the little things but exciting to find what you like to keep in stock, isn't it? I have a few favorites at Trader Joe's that I do the same thing with.

Shari Burke said...

I do like to have some basics around. I'm very much an improv cook, so having stuff on hand to work with is good! :-)

Vicki said...

I make my shopping list the same way. Just start at aisle #1 and start marking things off from the top to the bottom.

Shari Burke said...

It will take me a few trips to get the layout down. At least I found everything on the list! 🙂

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari,
oh yeah, it's the little things. We don't know Aldi's jalapenos (in Austria we have a Hofer supermarket that has about the same range as Aldi, but not in all products. I think my husband might like the jalapenos, he's a big fan of spicy Mexico-Food (I like Mexican looking, but not too hot). But I know the problem that a coveted product is only available temporarily. We then always buy large stocks ;-)
All the best,
Traude
Have a good start into June!
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/05/zwei-auszeiten-im-mai.html

Shari Burke said...

I'll be looking to grab a jar or two whenever we go! ;-)

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Shari Burke said...

Thanks!

Rostrose said...

Haha, I just saw that I wrote "I like Mexican looking" - it should be "cooking" of course ;-) It's definitely a good thing to always grab something you like when it's available :-)
Hope it's not too hot where you are at the moment - it's pouring here (the garden is well watered ;-))...
All the best,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/06/mai-trip-mit-sigrun-und-alles-finster.html

Shari Burke said...

It's about 20, which is too hot for me. The sun has been out for most of the day, but clouds are rolling in now, thankfully! We're supposed to get a little rain. As long as the sun isn't beating down, I am happy. It's always so much nicer without it!

Hope June has started off well for you! Two weeks until solstice!