Sunday, June 12, 2022

Death at the Feast (Kipper Cottage 3) by Jan Durham

Death At The Feast

Book 3 in the Kipper Cottage Mystery series

by Jan Durham

Pub Date 12 Jun 2022 

Inkubator Books

ISBN 9781915275639

Death at the Feast (Kipper Cottage 3)

Having read the first two books in this series, I was thrilled to see number three! It did not disappoint! Once again we visit Liz McLuckie, her friends, neighbours, and other inhabitants of Whitby. And of course, it does not take long for disaster to strike, when the mayor dies of a food allergy at a dinner catered by Liz’ friends Tilly and Mags. Mags is suspected of being careless, a wrongful death lawsuit is filed, and business at the cafe disappears. Liz proceeds to investigate in order to help her friend.

There are various twists and turns as the plot unfolds and I was eager to keep reading to see how it would all end.

The story takes place at Christmastime, which added a fun touch, as did the activities of some of the regulars. There were heartwarming holiday moments as well. Whether you’ve read the previous books in the series or not, I can wholeheartedly recommend this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books, but it’s not necessary to have read them in order to follow along with the characters and the plot. I will definitely keep reading this series.

I thank the author and NetGalley for providing me with an e-galley of this book in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Here is what I wrote about the first two books in the series:
Death at the Abbey by Jan Durham
This is the first in a new cosy mystery series featuring Liz McLuckie, a 50-something widow who has moved to Whitby five years after the death of her husband. She has purchased two run down cottages—Kipper Cottage and Gull Cottage—with the intention of living in one and fixing up the other to offer as a short term let to tourists. She lives with her wonderful dog, Nelson. One morning, while walking in Nelson’s favourite area atop the cliff, they stumble across a body. Liz and her friends end up in the middle of the investigation.

I quite enjoyed this book. It was a good read—very entertaining with a unique storyline and a quirky cast of characters. The people in the town are part of the joy of the book, along with the descriptions of the area. I am looking forward to reading future books in the series.

Death in Neptune Yard by Jan Durham
This is the second in the Kipper Cottage cosy mystery series and it was just as enjoyable as the first. In this book, Liz McLuckie, a 50-something widow who has moved to Whitby, is welcoming her first guests to the newly renovated cottage she bought. It’s Halloween and time for the annual Goth Festival, which brings tourists from near and far. The tourists are thrilled when the creature from folklore, the Barghest, is seen and heard, which means someone will die. Sure enough, someone does and Liz finds herself in jeopardy as she gets pulled into the mystery of whodunnit. 

This was another entertaining book. I liked learning more about some of the ‘regulars’ from the first book and Nelson the dog is always fun to read about. The folklore element was interesting as well. I look forward to the next book in the series.



8 comments:

Vicki said...

Sounds like a good series! I'm so behind on reading and reviews.

Shari Burke said...

I'd cleared my NetGalley shelf, and wasn't going to request anything else for a while because I am reading other things. I couldn't resist getting this one, though! :-) I enjoy this series!

My name is Erika. said...

I've been to Whitby in Ireeland. This sounds like a great series to read. Thanks for sharing.

Shari Burke said...

It's a fun series (set in the UK)! I particularly like seasonal themed cozies. I don't usually like to read Christmas mysteries in summer, but I made an exception for this one and it did lift my spirits, so maybe I ought to do more of that during my annual spring/summer yuck season! :-)

Linda said...

I've barely picked up a book of late. Not proud of it but trying to find a work / home balance and not doing it overly well. They sound like great stories.

Shari Burke said...

I do enjoy them!

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari,
this crime series seems to be really entertaining. I like what you report about it and I'm glad you had fun with it :-)
All the best and have a nice weekend,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/06/wildalpen-und-mariazell.html
PS: You wrote to me: "I was quite smitten with the pyramid in one of your photo collages." - YES, I also found this mosaic pyramid in the flower bed very decorative! <3

Shari Burke said...

I love a good cozy mystery series!