Sunday, December 12, 2021

Keep an Eye on the Time!

We've been listening to the all-classical radio station in Portland, Oregon via Radio Garden, an app that allows us to listen to radio stations of all kinds around the world. We both enjoy listening to classical music--it's just about the only music I listen to, in fact. But neither of us likes opera and the 'classical' station here, as with others we've listened to over the years in many different places, will often include a lot of opera in their playlists. We'd be listening to some nice music and then suddenly there would be a shrieking soprano jangling the nerves. The station here also has large blocks of time when they seem to have a jazz-heavy playlist and I'm not a jazz fan. 

When Bill was clicking around the app a while back, he came across this station and we tried it out. It is all classical and almost no opera. What little shrieking soprano there has been has been short. We both really like this station and have been listening to it a lot. As we had it on the other night, there was an announcement about some upcoming programming, including a show about Christmas music. I was thinking, 'Oh, I'd really like to listen to that, but no way will I be up at 7 a.m.' Then it dawned on me. It's Portland. They're 8 hours behind us. Seven a.m. there is 3 p.m. here. I can do 3 p.m.! Yay!

3 comments:

Jackie McGuinness said...

I just found Radio Garden this week! I had fun spinning the globe and finding interesting stations.
I hate opera as well and not a big fan of jazz either.
I came across this jazz Christmas music on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjGi1I8RXI

Rostrose said...

Oh, dear Shari,
you've found something perfect for you, that's fine! How lucky the station is in Oregon. :-)
I can't stand screaming sopranos either. My husband sometimes likes to listen to Wagner, and there are many passages with screeching Valkyries, terrible! ;-DD But he also has a record "Wagner's Ring without vocals". That is more bearable.
But for me classical music only fits certain moods (or some compositions fit certain moods, some compositions never fit me :-D
It's a shame that you don't like Irish music - that's music I can always hear :-)
I wish you a wonderful pre-Christmas season with the music you like!
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/12/italien-reisebericht-ausflug-ans-meer.html

Shari Burke said...

Jackie--it's fun listening to stations from all over, isn't it? I admit that sometimes when Bill has gone off to a station in some far flung place, I find the commercials more interesting than the music, but it's nice to be able to listen to all of it. :-) Thanks for the link--I'll check it out!

Thank you, Traude! It's true that music fits certain moods. It's interesting to me to notice how my tastes evolve over time. I don't like all classical music and I do have my favourites. I discovered choral music, of that's what to call it (I'm not sure!) when we lived in a different village on the border with Northern Ireland. We had a UK classical station on the radio and when we listened to that I discovered songs like Miserere and O Magnum Mysterium and fell in love with them. I don't understand the words, which is just as well, because I probably wouldn't like them. But there is something about the way the voices by themselves create beautiful sounds that resonates with me. I find the music peaceful and when I listen to those songs and some others, I physically feel peace descending on me. That said, I like other kinds of music, too and do listen to that sometimes. But mostly it's some kind of classical music. We were looking forward to going to some trad sessions (Irish music) in local pubs when we moved to our last place almost 2 years ago, but then COVID happened and we were in lockdown and that was that! Hope you're enjoying your first festive season as Oma!