Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Mysteries in May

As we head deeper into June, things are looking positive regarding our possible move to Phase 2 of the re-opening plan on 8 June. This is the time when libraries can re-open. Yay! That's a Monday and our library is closed on Mondays, so it would be the 9th before I could go, but that's less than a week and my anticipation grows by the day. 😀 I have three books waiting patiently for me to pick them up. There will also be an easing of the requirement that we stay within 5 km of our homes with certain exceptions. This will really not make much of a difference to us, because we live far enough away from things that even with the new 20 km limit, there wouldn't be anywhere to go, other than an even smaller village up the road a bit. We could possibly hop on a bus and go there for a few hours one day.

In looking over my book list for May, I see lots of mysteries and poems, along with a smattering of other sorts of books. I'll start with some of the mysteries.

Inheritance Tracks by Catherine Aird
Having recently discovered this author via a Lit Hub/Crimereads email and recognising the name from the e-book/e-audiobook section of the library website, I tried one of her books and loved it. It was an audiobook because that’s what was available at the time of my search. This turned out to be  good thing, because the reader was perfect for this author’s work. There are several of her books in the system, all but this one in e-audiobook format. This is her latest book, published last year, and is  in e-book format. I wasn’t sure whether I would enjoy reading her work as much as I did listening to it, and if given a choice, I would choose an audiobook read by Robin Bailey, but this was almost as wonderful. I wasn’t sure how much the dry humour would work in print, simply because it often appears in the form of thoughts left unsaid by the main detective, Sloan, but it does work. I was also curious to see how much the characters had changed or progressed because the books span decades and the first one I listened to was an early book. But it seems that little has changed. The doofus sidekick that no one is keen to work with, Crosby, seems to be the same as do the rest of the characters. It’s possible that as I go back and listen to more early work, differences will become more apparent to me, but it doesn’t really matter. These are fun books and I’m so glad to have had this author come to my attention.

Here’s the description of the book from the library website:
‘But they – along with a missing man – are descendants of the late Algernon George Culver Mayton, the inventor of “Mayton’s Marvellous Mixture” and each entitled to a portion of the Mayton Fortune. But before they can split the money, the missing man must be found.
They begin their search, but then Detective Sloan receives a call that one of the legatees had died following an attack of food poisoning. Now detectives Sloan and Crosby must determine whether the deceased merely ingested a noxious substance by accident, or if the legatees are being picked off one-by-one. And when matters of money and family rivalry are involved, there is almost certainly foul play afoot.’

The Religious Body by Catherine Aird (audiobook read by Robin Bailey)
This is the first Aird book. It’s set in a convent. After her room is found empty and she does not appear for morning services or breakfast and search is begun and Sister Ann is found at the bottom of the cellar stairs. It soon becomes clear that she did not simply fall as first assumed. Who killed her and why? Sloan and Crosby have to find out.

Henrietta Who? By Catherine Aird (audiobook read by Robin Bailey)
This is an early book in the Sloan and Crosby series. As with the other books of hers, I laughed several times. I do so enjoy the humour in these books. Grace Jenkins, a widow, is found early one morning by the postman, making the rounds of the village on his bicycle. It is clearly a case of hit and run and quickly determined to be deliberate. Her daughter, Henrietta, at university, is notified and comes home. But when the postmortem is done, it is discovered that Grace Jenkins never had Any children. Who is Henrietta and why was Grace run over?

Murder Under the Sun by Agatha Christie (audiobook read by Hugh Fraser)
I came across this title some months ago among the new releases in e-audiobook section of the library website. I waited until it was more seasonal and reserved it. It’s a collection of mostly lesser-known short stories, set in various places, but all in the summer. The title is a bit off as most stries feature other less serious situations than murder. There are some Poirot stories, many featuring Mr Parker Pyne, one with Mr Quin, and a few without any of her recurring characters. I am usually not sure whether or not I will like the reader of an audiobook, but I knew I’d like this one. Hugh Fraser played Hastings in the TV adaptations with David Suchet as Poirot. This is a fun collection and well worth listening to if you’re a Christie fan.

I hope you're enjoying some good books, too!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Glad you will be able to get to the library. Ours has opened curbside, but I am still concerned about getting the books...virus going strong here. The books sounds great that you have read. I might have missed that one by Agatha Christie or perhaps--my old mind has forgotten. Enjoy your day.

Vicki said...

Our libraries have been opened for a while for curbside pickup and I'm so glad! I think I'd like Henrietta Who? & Murder Under the Sun.

Shari Burke said...

Most of the libraries in the communities we have lived in here are very small and have only one employee. A couple were only open two days a week and the one librarian moved between two or three libraries on different days of the week. So that would make a curbside pick-up situation pretty difficult here. Some years ago, when I worked at a library in Oregon, they had a van that would deliver items to seniors and disabled people. I think they have started that back up again, which is cool!

I am not sure whether the Christie is also available as a print book. It is a compilation of stories that were published in various other collections through the years. There is another one in the system, also an audiobook, called The Last Seance that is like that, too--not sure whether that is available in a print book, either. I have not listened to the audiobook yet, but I'll get to it eventually :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

That's a good book list.
Pleased to read you will be able to get to the library …

All the best Jan