Sunday, April 14, 2024

All Tied Up

 I'm having computer issues again and have not gotten it to the tech guy yet. I got out an old computer that I saved for back-up. It's very slow, but it works.

Just before we moved, on a page devoted to upcycling textiles, I saw a post by a woman who makes bags out of old neckties. Unfortunately, while I loved the project, I didn't make note of the page or her name. I knew I wanted to try it after we'd gotten settled--after all, the charity shops always have lots of ties. Except for the shop we went to while in a nearby town to do errands and meet a friend. No ties to be seen. Said friend went to a different charity shop in a different town shortly thereafter and picked up 6 neckties for me. By then, I was into a large blanket project that I wanted to finish before it got too warm to have on my lap. It's all done now except for weaving in the ends, so this afternoon, I chose a couple of ties from the bag and started (hand) sewing. Here's the bag:

I was thinking about how to join the ends to make the strap. For now, I am going to just use it knotted so I can see how the length works out. When I know how long I want it to be, I will probably sew the ends together. I love the idea. I don't like to carry a big bag most of the time, nor do I need one. When I do, I grab my backpack. This is a good size, but I do have a rolled up nylon bag that I usually keep in my bag for when we stop at the grocery store or a charity shop or something. Although it fits, it takes up a fair bit of room, so I think I'm going to make a pouch to attach to the strap and keep it in there. That may be a project for later when I'm listening to an audiobook.

This is a really fun idea and very simple. Just lay the ties next to each other in opposite directions. Pin them together, right sides facing each other, and sew together a length that is double the depth you want your bag to be. Then fold in half, right sides together, and sew up the sides. The thin parts of the ties will be loose and become the strap. They can just be knotted together--it's adjustable this way--or sewn together. I'm sure there are ways to do an adjustable strap without the knot. Anyway, I have 4 more ties and may make at least one more bag. I'll be keeping my eyes open in charity shops, too.

I'll close with some necktie humor:
'If men can run the world, why can't they stop wearing neckties? How intelligent is it to start the day by tying a little noose around your neck?'
-- Linda Ellerbee

8 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

About neckties (which, thankfully, I have not worn in years) it is a puzzle to me why men feel the need to tie a piece of coloured cloth around their neck every morning before leaving the house. It is universal too. Look at a picture of a G7 meeting, or other august event. Leaders from around the world have coloured rags around their necks. How strange is this? I know that there is a wedding coming up next year so I may have to succumb for a day. Better to recycle them, Shari!

Shari Burke said...

Bill was sent to Catholic school, so had to wear a tie. By the time I met him, he was done with all that! We've been married 44 years and he hasn't worn a tie since I've known him. :-)

As with so much fashion, the whole tie thing seems odd. I'm sure there's a whole history there about how this came to be a universal men's fashion necessity and that could be interesting.

Hopefully your upcoming occasion will be so joyous that you'll forget you're wearing the tie ;-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

And how is Bill? It is a very long time since we heard from him.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sorry you are having computer issues.

It does seem that ties are not worn as much these days, having said that two of our grandchildren do wear ties to school as part of their school uniform!

Hope you and Bill are doing okay.
My good wishes to you both.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Jan--that's what Bill's experience was, too! By the time I met him 44 years ago, he was done with all that :-)

David--Bill is doing well. He's still on a blog break.

Vicki said...

I don't know if this is the lady but here's one that I know of
makes bags out of old neckties.

https://www.polkadotchair.com/diy-necktie-zip-pouch/

Vicki said...

And please let Bill know that I miss his posts.

Shari Burke said...

That isn't the one I saw, but I love this project, too. The instructions and photos are really well done. I have minimal sewing experience and that's all by hand for the past 40 years, but I think I could successfully follow this and sew by hand. These pouches would be useful for so many things. Thank you for sharing the link!

I've passed on your message to Bill. He says he'll be back soon :-)