Saturday, October 28, 2023

Poirot Saves Christmas (Again)

 Hercule Poirot’s Silent Night
The New Hercule Poirot Mystery
by Sophie Hannah
ISBN 9780008380779

A new book in the Sophie Hannah Poirot continuation series--and one set at Christmas to boot? Yes, please! I was excited to see this book and I was not disappointed! I think it may just have been her best Poirot yet. Can you tell that I loved it? Hannah does a great job with these books, both in characterizing Poirot and in her plots, settings, and supporting characters. These books wouldn't be mistaken for a Christie, but they're well done nonetheless. In this book, Cynthia Catchpool in particular is a fabulous character. I like the way readers are given more insight into the friendship between Poirot and Edward Catchpool. The mystery is twisty enough to be enjoyable, but not so convoluted that it's hard to follow. Poirot is Poirot in all his persnickety glory. There are some surprising plot twists.
In this book, Poirot and Catchpool are finalizing their plans for the Christmas dinner they plan to share when they are interrupted by a breathless woman who insists that they must go with her at once to spend Christmas at the large home of a friend. The friend is in distress because her husband, who is quite ill and nearing the end of his days, plans to admit himself to a hospital right after the new year. He wants to spend the time he has left solving the mystery of who killed a patient there three months before. His wife is trying everything she can to convince him not to go because she is sure he will be killed next. The police have had no luck solving the three-month old murder, so Poirot is needed. Things go on from there as Poirot and Catchpool put up with horrible food, a freezing old house, and more.

The book is also funny. There were places where I laughed out loud at the descriptions she provides. For example, "He spoke in an inelegant manner, one had the sense that a struggle between words and teeth was taking place, with no clear winner emerging.' If you love Christmas mysteries, Hercule Poirot, and/or mystery stories with a collection of quirky characters--some of whom can't stand one another--thrown together in what is supposed to be a festive atmosphere, this would be a great one to pick up.

I thank NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for a digital review copy.


8 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

A Poirot story set at Christmas and in time for Christmas!
It's got to be a winning read :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

She does a great job with these. I was wary at first, but ended up being happily surprised. It's not quite a 'Christie for Christmas' but almost ;-)

Vicki said...

Thanks for this review, I'm going to see if I can find the audio and if I can I'll add it to my Christmas books list.

Shari Burke said...

It would be great in audio! I'd love to hear how someone would do Cynthia Catchpool!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am not the best person to comment, Shari, since ai have never read Agatha Christie, and mystery is not a genre that draws me in. My grandmother’s favourite author was the great Agatha and I am quite sure she read everything the author ever wrote.

Shari Burke said...

I love Golden Age detective fiction, particularly the Queens of Crime, but I've been reading some other, less well known authors as I find them.

I wonder what your grandmother would think of the continuation books. My fav Christie character is Miss Marple and they did a collection of short stories written by contemporary authors featuring her a year or so ago.

My name is Erika. said...

I need to check out Sophie Hannah's new mysteries I'm glad you like them. Next time I pick one up I will bring it home with me to check it out. I was worried these books would be a let down from the original Christies.

Shari Burke said...

I was concerned about that, too, so I went into the first one prepared to not finish it if I didn't like it (I borrowed from the library). They would not be mistaken for Christie--the vibe is somehow slightly different--but I enjoyed it, so have read them all. I do think this is the best one--it's funnier than I remember the previous ones being for one thing.