Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Direct Sunlight by Christine Sneed

 Direct Sunlight: Stories
by Christine Sneed
Northwestern University Press
ISBN 9780810146167
Change is always with us, in big and small ways. Sometimes we get to direct it, sometimes it drops down shockingly upon us, and sometimes it sneaks up and surprises us. However it appears, the result is that we have to think again about who we are, who we want to be, what we will do next, and how we will go on with our lives. New relationships begin. Established relationships shift. Sometimes they, along with other parts of our everyday lives, end. We can feel adrift, unmoored, afraid, exhilarated, and more. We adapt and go on.

The 12 stories in this collection show us people navigating through changes in their everyday lives. Some of the stories are quietly devastating. Some are hopeful. Some are poignant. All are excellent. Usually in any short story collection there are stories I like better than others and at least one or two that I am not that keen on. Not so with this book! I loved every single story. I did not race through the book, but rather savored one story at a time, before setting the book aside for several hours or a day. Short story as a form can be tricky--there is a lot to do in a small space--and Christine Sneed skillfully and beautifully does it all. With these 12 stories, she has created 12 little worlds inhabited by people going about their daily lives and navigating changes they may or may not have wished for. I felt myself immediately immersed in each world and interested in what was happening to each of these people, sometimes feeling empathy for their situation, sometimes sadness, and sometimes hope. It's not easy for writers to evoke these kinds of feelings, even in long novels. To do so within the confines of the short story form is a particular kind of skill. I had never read any work by this author, but I will definitely seek out past work now.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for a digital review copy.

5 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A great review of a book that obviously met all your expectation, Shari.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, David--I do love a good short story collection :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

When an author can draw your interest and want you to know what is happening to the people in the book, you get to know them well, then that book or story has got to be a winner.

Many thanks for your review.

All the best Jan

Vicki said...

I love books of short stories but it's been a very long time since I saw one that I thought I'd enjoy. I'll be looking for a copy of this since you love it so much! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Shari Burke said...

That's true, Jan!

I hope you enjoy it, Vicki!