Thursday, September 14, 2023

Time Marches On--I Limp Instead

 A few weeks ago, I was just starting my walk home from the museum when I suddenly found myself on the sidewalk on my right knee. I have no idea what happened, but I suppose I must've tripped. I don't recall any such thing, but there I was. I didn't stumble or anything--just went down. I gathered up my bag and was thinking, 'Well now I have to get up.' There were probably some cars passing by but no other pedestrians, so I shifted to my left knee, already damaged from previous falls, and stood up, surprised at how easily I was able to do this, considering there was nothing to grab onto. I checked my pants, assuming they were ripped. They weren't, but when I got home I discovered that my knee was. I limped home, washed off my knee, put some antiseptic cream on it, and plunked myself down and my leg up. That was how I spent the next several days, pretty much--thank goodness for books and yarn! Sleeping was not coming easy because I had to stay on my back all the time, so I was having trouble falling asleep and then waking up after a few hours in pain. My leg was puffy and all kinds of colours. Still, I was moving better after a few days and able to do necessary tasks, although stairs aggravated things. Mainly, I wanted to sleep more.

A couple weeks later, we had some summery weather and it was hot and uncomfortable. I was still having to sleep on my back. Not a good combination, so I got even less sleep. That was a shame because I'd really wanted to get some good sleep before last weekend when the dreaded Harvest Fair Festival began--or as I call it, the Annual Mega Noise Pollution Event. I knew that I would get very little sleep for the 5 days this crappy thing was going on so wanted to go into it rested. Oh well.

It was as bad as I expected. Last year was our first here and we were appalled at what it turned out to be. On the last day, they close Main St and vendors line either side. The street is crammed with people walking around. We thought there would be artists and craftspeople, but there were only a handful--mostly it was people with cheap plastic junk. Once I got home from that, I knew I wouldn't be going ever again and this year, I didn't.

Worst of all though is the noise. This year they put speakers on Main St. We don't live on Main St, but off of it and we were located between speakers, so we heard the bad music all day and then when they had live performances on Main St (also bad music) we heard that, too. The biggest disruption came from a nearby bar with a 'beer garden.' Music there was supposed to start at 9, but of course they were always late so sometimes didn't start until 10. The same songs were being repeated over and over again on the same night and on consecutive nights. If I have to hear Sweet Caroline complete with drunk Irish people singing, 'So good, so good, so good' and 'whoa-oh-oh' I think I will scream. Also some maudlin song about how 'this is my homeland, the place I was born in...' They seem to wait until everyone is good and toasted before they sing that one for the first time. Sometimes the singers clearly get drunk along with the audience because they start slurring their words when they scream into the microphone.  When the gigs were done after 3 or 4 hours, the drunk people would hang around outside and yell (they think they're singing), laugh, and scream. Since it was hot, we had to keep the windows open so we heard everything--against our will. We would hear it even with the windows closed, but it is worse with them open. On Sunday, I heard one of the stragglers say, 'It's 5:02' before the group broke up. I didn't get to sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning each of the 5 nights of the 'festival.' We have nights like this through the summer, but they're usually more spread out. When they're concentrated into one long period of time, it gets on my last nerve even more. There is a wee bit of humor--I find it funny how some of these people, who are country-western singers, have their little twang. I wonder if they practice as they pretend to be from Alabama or someplace. The laughter never lasts long--I can't stand country western music. Whatever the genre, the music is so loud that it disrupts our life. A friend sent me ear plugs, which do almost drown out the drunks, but not the music. I can sometimes add my large headphones, which cover my ears, and turn up certain things to the max, but sometimes even that doesn't work and all I can hear is the cacophony from the beer garden. Wandering drunk people in the middle of the night is a very Irish thing. We've heard them in every place we've lived, but this place is the worst for that. 

Publicans are always whining about things--taxes, drink driving laws, outdoor smoking--and saying their business will fail. It's true that many pubs have closed, but there are still plenty left. The market was clearly over-saturated. This is a village of 800 people. There are 4 standalone pubs, a bar inside a hotel, and another inside a restaurant on Main St alone. I am told there used to be 14 pubs in town.

Anyway, I woke up yesterday to the first day post-fair. It was chilly and raining. I was thrilled. Last night I slept well. I hope there's plenty more of that kind of thing in my near future!

9 comments:

Vicki said...

So sorry about your fall! Glad your knee is better and you can now get more sleep!

I know how you feel about the music! I don't like having no other choice but to listen to someone else's noise! Most of the events like that either take place on the main streets in town or out of town in a big field that's specifically used for things like that. We can't hear either from our house. But...a month or so ago a family moved into a house that is across from the house behind us and they sometimes play music from their car stereo as LOUD as it will go. Thankfully it never lasts longer than 5-6 songs. I think that's because someone either tells them to knock it off or calls the police. We live in the city limits so that should never be allowed. The only other time there's noise here are fireworks on 4th of July and New Years Eve.

Shari Burke said...

It's maddening! I filed a noise complaint against the beer garden earlier in the summer and they at least had to stop earlier--some nights the pounding music was going on until 3 or 3:30 in the morning with people screaming into the microphone. Still, even when they stop earlier, it's 3+ hours that we are prevented from doing what we want in our own home. Hopefully now they will go inside now. We can't hear them then.

Linda said...

They need to have a full disclosure law. You know, like the one in California where they have to disclose if someone died in the house you are purchasing.

I would hate that noise. I even stay up late but I want my peace late at night.

Glad it is over and hope that you heal quickly.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

First of all, let me say that I am very sorry to hear about your injured knee and wish fora complete recovery. The situation you describe would drive me quite mad. Like you, I abhor country and western music, with its maudlin sentimentality and sugary patriotism, all performed by people with goofy accents ( often contrived as you say) and cowboy hats glued to their heads. But even if it were an exquisite motet by Pallustrina, a Chopin sonata, a Beethoven string quartet, or the divine beauty of “The Lark Ascending,” I want to listen to it on my own terms, and not have it imposed upon me by others, especially at decibel levels to damage my eardrums. If I am not mistaken, you are American, and chose to live in Ireland - perhaps a wrong decision. Please come to Canada; I’m sure you’d love it here.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Linda and David. It is crazy what they get away with here when it comes to this stuff. What laws there are are not enforced, especially in rural areas. Urban dwellers have these issues and more stuff involving bodily fluids outside their doors! 😳😳😳

I am a night owl, too, Linda but like you, I want quiet! And I much prefer your musical selections, David, but yes, on my own terms. We actually considered moving to Newfoundland at one point. I used to listen to a radio station online. I remember they used to talk about Happy Valley/Goose Bay. πŸ™‚ Yes, we are 'refugees from America ' as one friend says about us.

Lowcarb team member said...

So sorry to read about your fall, may you have a speedy as possible recovery.

So pleased that the fair is now over and you can get back to some quietness and good sleep.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan! I have been sleeping long and hard these past couple nights. Long gone are the days when I could spring out of bed after a couple hours of sleep and actually function πŸ™‚

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari, I'm finally back here and have read all the blog posts I missed. Over the last few weeks I've been looking at your blog again and again and only found the article I already know, and now you've posted so many things in a row that I had to catch up...
You get my comment here, because this is the article that provoked my sympathy the most: Not just your leg injury - luckily you've largely recovered from it! Noise - this is also one of the issues that I always have to deal with. I love music (if it's my style of music, but only in small doses when I go to a concert and have chosen "noise" myself.) But I HATE "forced happiness" with noise and riots and drunks who shout, whether at festivals or on New Year's Eve or whenever. We moved away from Vienna because we lived in a neighborhood that was becoming increasingly noisy. Luckily it's not often very loud now in our little town, but there are about 5 louder festivals a year. I couldn't sleep before either. We now have a few solutions for ourselves: If it's hot, close the windows, turn on the air conditioning (we only had this installed in the bedroom - for similar eventualities, for example), put in ear plugs (I have a pair of CUSTOM-MADE ear plugs). And then I sleep like a baby and my husband, too (but he doesn't hear very well anyway)... If necessary, I also have hearing protection for construction sites or shooting ranges. But it's very big and not really suitable for sleeping. (But I've already done it.)
All the best, Traude
🌺πŸͺΆπŸ‚ πŸͺΆπŸŒΊ
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/09/mamuz-im-schloss-asparn-40000-jahre.html

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Traude! Those are great ideas for noise-blocking. We're hoping that, like last year, the festival will mark the end of the beer garden season until next year and they will keep things indoors. Drunk people on the streets are not going to go away, but the rainy season will hopefully come and they don't like that so they keep quiet. We have decided that one way or another, we won't be here for the festival next year. If we still live here, we will make plans to go away.

Hope your week is going well.