Sunday, September 17, 2023

Sunday Spine-ku

 
Here are a couple of spine-ku, as I call these short spine poems, on a Sunday morning. Now back to coffee!
A natural curiosity
Frankenstein
family album

Books are A Natural Curiosity by Margaret Drabble, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and Family Album by Penelope Lively--all happen to be published by Penguin.

Five
literary women
to the lighthouse

Books are Five by Doris Lessing, an old Penguin collection of 5 of her short novels, Literary Women by Ellen Moers a nonfiction work published by the Women's Press, and To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, Wordsworth Edition. 

Although I got this one in a charity shop, Wordsworth Editions are my favourite for classics and when I am looking for a classic online at Kenny's I try to get those--they always have good informative introductions (which should always be read after reading the book because there are spoilers) and good notes. Penguin and Oxford are good, too, but I like Wordsworth best.

7 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Spine-ku is a great name, Shari. Better trademark it before someone else grabs it! Good choice of books too.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, David. Have a great day.

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't read some of these authors in a long time. Thanks for the reminder. But I did reead FRankenstein a couple of years ago. Have a great new week!

Vicki said...

I love this spine-ku! And I love the name :)

Shari Burke said...

I listened to Frankenstein a few years ago now, on the Phoebe Reads a Mystery podcast. It's been decades since I read To the Lighthouse. Haven't read any of the others yet.

Thanks, Vicki :-)

Have a great week!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a wonderful spine-ku :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan :-)
Happy Monday.