Friday, September 15, 2023

Making Lemonade

 Yesterday I posted about the obnoxious harvest fair and the accompanying noise. It's the same sort of crap we've had to deal with periodically through the summer--same old noise, same old songs, same old garbage. In order to try to hang on to some bits of sanity when the same annoying noises are invading my home, I came up with a poem using the song titles and lyrics that we have heard over and over and over and over and.... throughout the summer. I think the story reads like a country western song. Here it is:

Bar Music 1
The rhinestone cowboy rode into town,
the doors were closed and the shutters were down.
He was looking for his Sweet Caroline,
wondering if he would run out of time.

He'd been to Folsom Prison, you see,
but once he got there, he decided to flee
and falling into a burning ring of fire,
was not quite enough to quench his desire.

Down the country roads he went,
kept going when all his money was spent.
He sped towards his home in that dirty old town,
but when he got there, he could only frown.

Sweet Caroline had not long waited--
another man's dinner was already plated.
He begged, he pleaded, he sank to his knees,
while she and her new love ignored all his pleas.

So he drew on some lessons he'd learned in the past--
know when to hold 'em, fold 'em, then walk away fast.
'I know when I'm beaten,' he said to himself,
,'I won't stay here to be put on the shelf!'

He jumped into his car to speed into the night
seeking paradise by those dashboard lights.

Who knows where he landed, who knows where he went, 
while Sweet Caroline built a new life with her gent.

August 2023

6 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done Shari :)
I enjoyed this.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan --it made me laugh, which was sorely needed at the time😏

Enjoy your weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is a fine accomplishment, Shari, and it obviously needs to be put to music without delay. Think of the royalties that will fill your coffers as all the country and western stars (?) clamour for recording rights. It will be the next big hit I am sure and you will have to move to Nashville, wear cowboy hats and boots, cultivate a southern drawl, and most of all don’t forget to stand by your man. Walk tall and help him make it through the night. How you choose to do that, I leave entirely up to you.

Shari Burke said...

🤣🤣🤣 I think it would sound best in a southern drawl via Irish since that was the inspiration 😏😉 I will have to consult a local! Been standing by my man for 43 years now, so I think I can handle that part--LOL

Thanks for the laugh!

Vicki said...

Wow, that's really good! If you enjoy writing poetry you should right a poetry book, I would definitely buy it!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki! I do enjoy playing with words 🙂