Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Project Completed and Delivered

 In December, a friend gave me a bunch of yarn that she'd found at a Goodwill in Boston when she was there for Thanksgiving. She scored big on that trip, finding really nice yarn for me and for herself. For herself she picked up 10 skeins of chunky superwash wool that was very soft and squishy. 
She asked if I'd knit her a sleeveless jumper with it. Of course I said I would be happy to and we looked around for patterns that would work with the limited amount of yarn we had. Since the yarn has been discontinued, we could not get more. She started looking in earnest in January and found the style she wanted, but it was for a smaller gauge and would possibly require more yarn than we had. Still, she bought the pattern from a seller on Etsy and downloaded it. She considered buying a yarn that might go well with what we had, but she really wanted it to be just that yarn without a contrast. Meanwhile, I found a pattern in an old magazine that would work for some parts of the garment. We agreed on how to proceed; I did a gauge swatch and did some calculations, working from those, the measurements, and the neck style from the two different patterns to get what she wanted. Then I did some tweaking to make the design fit and look better with the bulky yarn. I finished Monday, but I left long tails at the armholes so they could be adjusted, if necessary.

Today we hopped on the bus and met her for lunch and a visit. I brought my needle case with scissors so I could weave in those tails. She was wearing a sweater she'd gotten to go under the vest and went into the bathroom to try it on. She came out happily wearing it. The armholes did not need adjusting and she says it's exactly what she wanted. Phew! I was thrilled that it fit as she wanted it to. I had very little yarn left, so had given some thought as to how to best make it work. It's great when ideas work out well. So I had fun with the project--the yarn was really nice to work with--and she is happy with her new garment. And we had a lovely visit and a nice lunch. It was a good day!
detail of the knitted fabric which gives a sense of the colours


Hope you're having a good day, too.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

You did a great job, it's beautiful!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki! I was relieved when it fit properly 🙂

Linda d said...

You are an artist. It is quite lovely.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Linda. I enjoyed working on it.

Lowcarb team member said...

You certainly did a good job, and what a lovely visit and lunch you had too.
Perfect.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan. It's always nice to visit with friends :-)

Mary said...


Beautiful sweater. I am sure your friend really enjoys it.
Shari, I just saw on your husband's website a picture of lasagna made in a crockpot, which he says he always has for his birthday. It looks so delicious! Could you publish the recipe for it?

Shari Burke said...

Hi Mary--yes, I will post the lasagne process :-)