Friday, March 10, 2023

Hot Off the Hook: Scrappy Socks

 I was in the mood for a scrappy project. Some of my older socks are starting to show signs of wear so I've been knitting new ones here and there, picking them up and putting them down as the mood strikes. This time I felt like making socks out of some sock yarn scraps and I wanted to crochet them. So I did. First I rummaged around in my bag of scraps and pulled some out that went well together. Then I sat one night while listening to podcasts and Booktube, joining the scraps together using a joining method that creates an almost invisible join without knots. When I had two balls of about equal size, each ball having at least one colourway in common, I started crocheting, using one of my own patterns. The yarn went further than I thought it would, so with the addition of a few more scraps, I was able to get two pair of socks so far. I will be making another pair that won't be quite as scrappy because I have more leftovers of some yarn than I used for these.


fabric detail
I have another pair of socks I made like this several years ago and they are so comfortable to wear! That pair is not really scrappy--but the socks are mismatched. This bothers some people but I quite like it. Plus, it was a great way to use the yarn that each by itself was enough for one sock, but not a pair.

I plan to wear these socks with hiking sandals when it gets slightly warmer. I know some people don't like the socks with sandals thing, either, but since all my socks are made by my own hands, I enjoy seeing my (sometimes funky) handiwork as I walk around and I find hiking sandals and Birkenstocks to be the most comfortable shoes, so I like to wear them as much as I can. My funky socks extend their season. To each their own. 

I'll probably start another pair, but I also have another couple of projects I want to make by the end of the month so I can mail them, so I'll be focusing on those for a little while now.

12 comments:

Vicki said...

I love them! Doing/wearing what you want and not worrying about what anyone else thinks is the best way to live.

Shari Burke said...

It definitely is! Thanks, Vicki :-)

Brenda said...

They really look nice.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Brenda!

My name is Erika. said...

FUN sicks. I like the way you knit them in circular rows rather than making the stitches going vertical.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Erika! The crochet technique does that for me :-) By crocheting around and a round in a back loop, it creates that look which I love to use for hats, socks, and other things.

Lowcarb team member said...

I really like them, great colourways.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! These are very beautiful…. Another project executed to the highest standards….. Proudly prance these beauties and warmth!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, TT :-)

Sandi said...

LOVE these.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Sandi! They're fun to make and wear 🙂